Advice on replacing a North Star Pump

MDP

May 17, 2013
Got a Hayward 2-Speed North Star pump; need to replace that. I don't think they make North Star anymore.

Any thoughts which pump should I go with? TraiStar/Super II or something else?

It's a pool and spa.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks mas985. Yeah, replaced the motor twice, however the impeller breaks almost every other month. So thought of just replacing the entire pump. Don't have the pump model with me, it's a 2 HP 230V C FRAME THD EE 2 SPD motor (and pump). Does it help you to recommend the right pump?

Thanks again.

Is it up rated (low service factor) or a full rated (high service factor)? From the description it sounds like it is full rated.

Does this pump run the spa jets as well?

Also, does the filter gauge go to zero when the pump shuts off? 30 PSI is much too high for normal pressure so I suspect you might have a bad gauge.

A TriStar SP32202EE is a high efficiency two speed that would be a good choice. But you are starting to get up into the price range of VS pumps so it might be worth considering that.

But the filter pressure is really too high so you might want to investigate what is going on there.

Thanks so much again!!

One more question - found a similar pump at a cheaper price - SP3220EE; I think it's the same pump but single speed. Do you think it will work?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The TriStar and NorthStar have different suction pipe heights so yes, there will be significant plumbing changes.

Got a Hayward 2-Speed North Star pump; need to replace that. I don't think they make North Star anymore.

Any thoughts which pump should I go with? TraiStar/Super II or something else?

It's a pool and spa.

Thanks in advance.

Tristar VS. review the 900 model and the 950 model. They both come with extended warranties. The tristar950 gives you great flow, large basket, and 4 year warranty.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.