Replacing Hayward Star-Clear Plus - Jandy CS150 or CS200?

SR56

Feb 8, 2020
Orlando, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Been having the usual issues with the locking nut on the Hayward Star-Clear Plus 1200 and need a new filter anyways so just want to replace the whole housing unit. Looking at the Jandy CS150 and CS200 to replace with, but not sure which to go with.

Any help is appreciated!

Pool Size: 14,500
Pentair SuperFlo

Jandy Specs

1675723028354.png

How often do you have to clean the cartridge?

For your volume pool, I would put in at least a 300 SF or larger filter. Unless the pool is in a screen enclosure.

Reactions: newdude
Been having the usual issues with the locking nut on the Hayward Star-Clear Plus 1200 and need a new filter anyways so just want to replace the whole housing unit. Looking at the Jandy CS150 and CS200 to replace with, but not sure which to go with.

Any help is appreciated!

Pool Size: 14,500
Pentair SuperFlo

Jandy Specs

View attachment 472290
For the sake of your wallet when they are needed, and the ease of getting parts that aren't proprietary, go with a Hayward, Pentair, Waterway instead of a Jandy. You would be happier in the long run with something of 300+ sq. ft.

Reactions: mknauss and newdude
How often do you have to clean the cartridge?

For your volume pool, I would put in at least a 300 SF or larger filter. Unless the pool is in a screen enclosure.
It's screened. I clean it about every 6 weeks. I'll look into some 300 options. Thought that would be overkill.

For the sake of your wallet when they are needed, and the ease of getting parts that aren't proprietary, go with a Hayward, Pentair, Waterway instead of a Jandy. You would be happier in the long run with something of 300+ sq. ft.
Not a fan of the Hayward locking mechanism. Was looking for something a bit easier to deal with. I'll check out the others!

Even screened I would look at something at least above 200 SF. I suspect your suction cleaner is why you have to clean the filter so often.

Even screened I would look at something at least above 200 SF. I suspect your suction cleaner is why you have to clean the filter so often.
It's more habit than necessity. But now is the time to get it right.

Looking at the Pentair Clean & Clear Plus vs FullFloXF. Thought I had it almost settled and now I'm going down new rabbit holes. 😂

Reactions: mknauss
This is my setup here. Based on what I have, any recommendations on plumbing changes? The Jandy SWG cap is leaking so getting a replacement for that. Looks like I've got plenty of space to add the larger filter housing. Really need to get a new poured slab in there since this one has sank a little, but I digress.

The Jandy, Pentair, Hayward, and Waterway larger filter multi-filter units are all similar in design. Is one any better than the other for air purge and taking apart for cleaning? All seem to have the same type of bolt down band.

These are the options I'm considering. Any one better than the other? Any forum vendor breaks?
Hayward C4030 (425sqft)
Jandy CV460 (460sqft)
Waterway 570-0425-07 (425sqft)
Pentair CCP420 (420sqft)

1675884963938.png1675885026045.png

These are the options I'm considering. Any one better than the other?
Sta-rite S8M (300/400/500/etc). It has 8 big indestructible clamps that spin by hand. Inside are only two filters that smack directly into the robust housing.

Screenshot_20230208_164740_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230208_164817_Gallery.jpg

The obvious downside is if you lose a cartridge, replacing 1 of 2 is more expensive than replacing 1 of 4. And they're heavier being larger. But other than that there are no parts to break. Just filters and the base.

Reactions: SR56
Sta-rite S8M (300/400/500/etc). It has 8 big indestructible clamps that spin by hand. Inside are only two filters that smack directly into the robust housing.

The obvious downside is if you lose a cartridge, replacing 1 of 2 is more expensive than replacing 1 of 4. And they're heavier being larger. But other than that there are no parts to break. Just filters and the base.

Did a little price checking. Not seeing it for less than about $1,500. It might not compete with the others. She's ugly, too. LOL Had to check the width since the pics make it look pretty wide. It wouldn't fit in my space at 28.5".

Hayward 24"
Jandy 25" / 28" with band lock
Waterway 23.5"
Pentair 23.5"

Looks like Jandy will be knocked out, too. Waterway I've found at the best price so far.

Reactions: newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For those keeping score at home, I went with the Jacuzzi JCF425 (425 sqft). This is basically a Waterway (all WW parts), but it has a better warranty plan (2 years) on it and came with Pleatco Ultra filters and oil gauge as an upgrade. Waterway was very non-specific and I had read some reviews where they didn't cover stuff.

The top air valve piece had a huge leak when we installed it. WW sent me out the newer version of the valve and it fixed it. The filter housing isn't purging the air out so I may have a leak somewhere that's not obvious. I've been airing it out with the manual valve daily. Gauge read 0 from day 1 (with new valve). Pressure seems about the same as previous.

It cleaned up my water quickly after the pool was shut down for about 2 weeks and had pollen and dirt. Other than the air issue, it's been OK so far.

Attachments

• 20230410_142404.jpg
    20230410_142404.jpg
    577.1 KB · Views: 4
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.