Advice on pool renovation.

tanksjeep

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 23, 2015
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
I’m preparing for a pool and deck renovation. Re-plaster, new tile, new spillway (scupper), and re-do the cool deck. I’m most concerned with getting a tile that will resist the calcium buildup. Maybe glass, since it is the smoothest? I already use a water softener for make up and that helps tremendously. My goal (dream) is to never have to scrape calcium off tile again. That’s tough here in the southwest.

Any other suggestions?

Do not run the spillover all the time. Use automation to run it as needed to chlorinate and when you want the 'effect'
Glass would not be a good idea. Hard to clean.
With the softened water, all you need to do is control the TA and pH and scale should not be an issue.
How do you currently chlorinate?

The spillway runs all the time because the way the pool is plumbed.

I use tabs to chlorinate the pool. Maybe I should switch to liquid?
With automation, you can program it to not run all the time. Might depend on what revision of Aqualink you have.

You can use tablets, just have to drain a good portion of the pool every few weeks. Otherwise there is no way to maintain the proper FC/CYA ratios. If your water is cheap, you might be able to do it.
By far the most economic and easiest method is a saltwater chlorine generator.

Sorry, I do have an option to turn on the spillway and I do run it for 15 minutes a day. However, the pool pump circulates water through the pool in a line that runs thru the spa also. This is also where the spillway is (spa to pool). So as the pump runs it pumps water into the spa which spills over the spillway unless you are in spa mode. (Obviously).

See Jandy Aqualink RS - Further Reading
From the above.

Spillover Mode​

If you have a pool and spa you can enable the Spillover function with dip switch #3 on the main panel. When switch #3 is on then AUX3 becomes the spillover control. If you have any relay connected to AUX3 you need to move it to an available Aux position.

With Spillover turned on by AUX3 the POOL/SPA return valve will move to the SPA position. Water will be suctioned by the pool and returned to the spa.

The cam on the return actuator may need to be reset to fully close the spa return when in POOL mode.

Likely. I can't see how an infloor in the spa works very well if the drain is not taking whatever is being fluffed up by the infloor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.