Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Hi Folks,
Looking for a quick bit of advice... My pool construction is nearing completion.
I have a pool, spa and all Jandy components:
Aqualink RS-PS8
1.65 Jandy VSP Flopro
CS200 Cartridge Filter
JXI400PN heater with versaflow
Truclear SWG
pair of deck jets,
sunshelf LED bubbler,
spa blower,
and a bunch of lights in and around pool

Desired Automation:
- Spa Mode
- blower on/off
- Heater on/off
- Future Solar
- No water features on
- Both LED bubbler and jets on
- just LED bubbler
unassociated breaker automation like lights on/off, etc...

from what i understand, I can only automate 4 valves and it seems that I may need more.

Q1 - am i missing any feature above that would make enjoying automation better?
Q2 - not sure i gave enough information, but do you think i can do above with 4 automated valves?
Q3 - are you aware of how to expand valve automation with this equipment or was the equipment that was specified wrong?

thanks for any help... if I'm missing info, I can do best to provide.

Attachments

• IMG_0053.JPG
    IMG_0053.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 36
I see you need just 3 automated valves:

- pool/spa suction
- pool/spa return
- solar heat on/bypass

Blower, heater, bubbler are on/off electrical relay controls.

T,

The time to think about how automation should work is before you install 7 or 8 valves...

Show us a pic of your valves from a little closer and tell us what each valve controls. We can then tell you what your options are..

Two of your 4 valves must be used to control the Intake Valve and the Return Valve.. So that leaves you with two valves that you can program to do what you want.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,
thank you - totally agree regarding planning ahead - which was done, but there "may have been miscommunication" with builder... which is why i'm trying to sort out options with how it is currently installed.
i think you indirectly answered my question though - if going automation route - confirmed that with current equipment I'm limited to 4 automated valves. 2 of those are intake, return... leaves me two for remainder water features, solar, etc...

T,

I am not a Jandy guy, but all of these systems are pretty much the same when stock... Your system may allow you to add more valves, but we need a Jandy guy to chime in to know for sure..

Thanks,

Jim R.

To upgrade Jandy systems to use more valves, you will need to purchase an entire new control board. Unfortunately, it is not a cheap fix (although it is easy). In addition, you are limited on relays. Even though the automated valves do not need a relay, they each are assigned one, which makes that relay unusable for anything else, and you can't change that. I don't know if this is poor programming or some planned obsolescence thing. I ran into this when I wanted to automate my landscaping lights which connect to a breaker in my Jandy control center. I had lots of relays but all of them were permanently assigned to existing functions. I wasn't using the "Solar", however, so I was able to tie into that relay to get my landscaping lights working. I am now tapped out though and can't do anything else.

I suggest before you go any further discuss everything with your builder and make sure your system is sized properly. If you builder is unfamiliar with how Jandy works, call Jandy's tech support line and ask them.

https://www.jandy.com/~/media/zodiac/global/downloads/sa/sa6465.pdf

@PoolGate

Thanks for the feedback...

Pentair systems have something called "Feature Circuits" that have no relays. They are identical to circuits that have relays, but can be used for things like valve control or speed changes... I always "assumed" Jandy had something similar, since all these systems compete against each other. I am surprised..

Jim R.

If it were me, I'd put the features Jets/Bubbler/Off on a single 3-way valve and use a Jandy Smart JVA. The Smart JVA will give you all your options, Features off/Jets only/Bubbler only/both - using a single valve.

Also flip that heater hood so the pipes are by your pump and the vent is away from your equipment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
that would do the trick! the builder is relying on others to solve the automation problem... i'll recommend the smart JVA...
electrician wired up the heater, but plumber hasnt finished. will try to get rotated at leas 90deg to exhaust heat away from equip and house/screen. if i flip 180, it'll hit screen.
thanks!

that would do the trick! the builder is relying on others to solve the automation problem... i'll recommend the smart JVA...
electrician wired up the heater, but plumber hasnt finished. will try to get rotated at leas 90deg to exhaust heat away from equip and house/screen. if i flip 180, it'll hit screen.
thanks!

I am pretty sure you need the OneTouch controller to initially set up the SmartJVA. The OneTouch is like $500. I don't think there is any other way to tell the system you have it.

Ha HAA!!! I just scored a OneTouch for $135 shipped! Once I get it I will see what I can do to get the SmartJVA working.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.