Advice on how to reroute pipes condensing down to one pump from 2.

Nathanstl

Jun 28, 2016
St. Louis, MO
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-40
Please see attached picture. I'm not 100% on what the pipe 3rd from the left is used for. I just got a Pentair INtelliflo VSF and I was thinking about completely eliminating both of my single speed pumps with this one if possible. The water feature was running on a 1.5HP and the filter on a 1HP. The new pump can go up to more than both combined which is what got me thinking about it. I want to try to get a powered valve controlled by my easy touch to allow for having the filter and water feature run at the same time and to increase the rpm of the pump when activated.

1. Can it be done?
2. How would you combine the pipes?
3. Any cons of doing it this way?

Attachments

• AB13CE45-B099-48A3-8898-61E3749C561A_1_201_a.jpeg
    AB13CE45-B099-48A3-8898-61E3749C561A_1_201_a.jpeg
    797.6 KB · Views: 12
What water features do you have?

What are the GPM requirements of your water features?

Your water feature pump flow is not restricted by your filter, heater and other equipment in the filter pump flow.

What water features do you have?

What are the GPM requirements of your water features?

Your water feature pump flow is not restricted by your filter, heater and other equipment in the filter pump flow.
1. See picture. This isn't mine, but identical.

2. I have no idea what the GPM requirements are besides the 1.5HP single speed pump runs it great.

Attachments

• Water-Features.jpeg
    Water-Features.jpeg
    277.8 KB · Views: 3
2. I have no idea what the GPM requirements are besides the 1.5HP single speed pump runs it great.

We need to know that to continue the conversation.

Otherwise you can try it all on one pump and hope for the best. Worst case you replumb back to your original configuration.

Sounds like an interesting project. I recently plumbed my separate rock slide/waterfall to the pool/filter pump. The system is much different than yours, so no reason to cover in detail. It now provides the ability to run the water feature at low speeds for ambience while circulating filtered water. My feature was previously run by a 2HP single-speed pump.

In your case, the worst case scenario is you could only run the pool returns or the water feature at any one time. Either way, you'd still be circulating filtered water through the pool.

You wouldn't need the waterfall suction line. You would plumb the two returns to a 3-way diverter valve. If it works, you'll have to find the sweet spot where you get enough pressure going to both sets of returns at the desired speed.

Is the second line from the waterfall pump just a bypass to allow adjustment of flow to the water feature?

I would have a field day :) Ready for this...

1. Change all your valves to Jandy 2 way valve Jandy 2-Way Never Lube Valve, 1.5" - 2"
2. combine all your suction side pipes, 3 for the main pump and the 1 from your water feature pump
3. put a Jandy 3 way valve between your water feature returns and the main returns..
4. add another Jandy 2 way valve to the water feature pipe without a valve.
5. combine your booster pump return and the main return giving you another return.
6 make a heater bypass using another 3 way jandy valve and a check valve.
Grab you a robot and clean your pool for 20 cents for a 2 hour clean..

I just spent way too much of your money :)

I would have a field day :) Ready for this...

2. combine all your suction side pipes, 3 for the main pump and the 1 from your water feature pump

I see no reason to add the water feature pump suction to the main pump if the existing suction can supply the pump at max RPM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.