Advice on how to keep garter snakes out of our heat pump?

ghall6292

Bronze Supporter
Jun 10, 2018
North Central PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
This summer we have a few garter snakes that have taken up residence inside the cabinet of our Hayward heat pump. They are almost always there whenever the pump isn't running becuase the cabinet is black and holds heat. There are drain holes in the base of the cabinet that allow for drainage of the water condensation that naturally occurs during the heating cycle. This is the obvious point of entry, but I don't want to plug these holes. Once the unit is fired up, they are no longer visible, but I never see them leave, either. Anyone have any repellent ideas to make these unwanted guests find a more natural home?

Thanks for the idea. I was trying to think of what to use to cut them off from the drain holes, and how to fasten it. I don't want to screw anything to the heater, but never even gave tape a thought. I've got some screening on hand; I'll give it a try. (BTW, the "little" snakes are over two feet long!) :oops:

Reactions: borjis
The open cell foam seems to have done the trick! I simply rolled it up to a little bigger than the diameter of the weep holes and left it in the half-in/half out mode. Also sprayed a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water in a 6' perimeter around the heat pump (I read that they don't like to slither across the vinegar.)
So far, no snakes seen, and the unit drains off the condensation just as it always did. :goodjob:

Thanks for the help!
G.

Reactions: borjis
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.