Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
IMG_0600.JPGIMG_0599.JPG
The first picture is from above obviously, with the second picture showing the whole equipment pad. As you can probably tell from these photos, I have 3 pipes coming into the pad from the pool, the two skimmers and one from the two drains. Then I have four return jets - as you can see by what is leaving from the Intellichlor. My PB is only charging $150 to close the pool, but I'd like to be able to do it myself. I have the "bottles" for the skimmers and caps for the return jets. I've read the posts on closing pools, but it confuses me since those are usually related to systems with sand or DE filters, and multi-port valves.

What process would be best for closing (thinking of buying a cyclone to do so)? And, how would I best connect the Cyclone (or shop vac if you think that would work as well) to be able to blow out the lines?

Some initial thoughts:
  • I could disconnect the Intellichlor since I plan to bring it inside anyway and get direct access to the pipe leading to the returns. I will then put a dummy in it's place. I would then be able to open and close the pipes one by one as I blow them out and put the caps on each jet.
  • I will drain the pump and the filter by removing the plugs.
  • Not sure how to drain the heater yet.
  • Would I connect to the pump to blow out the skimmer and the drains (again I can use the valves and go one by one). But, how do I prevent the air from going through the filter instead of through the lines back to the returns?
  • The PB closed it last year and did not use anti-freeze and I don't want to use it either.
  • The water is currently halfway up the skimmers. It would be great if I don't have to lower it, but if I do, what's the best way to drain water from the pool given this set up (I had a leak last year so it drained "naturally"!)
  • I have an autocover that I will use as my winter cover so I need that to be supported.
Thanks!

Do not worry about DE, Sand Filters or MPV. Remove the cartridges in your filter. The concept of closing a swimming pool is really simple. Lower your water below the skimmer (about 2"). The only valve you need to shut off is the main drain to lock the air. The skimmers can be closed with Gizmo's. The returns can be plugged under water with black rubber plugs.

The key is to decide where to clear the lines from. With any blower or compressor, you are pushing air in the piping to remove water and eventually close off the end, whether it be with a Gizmo, black plugs or the valve for the main drain. Where you hook up the blower is all up to you. Some people work from the skimmers. Some from the threaded port at the pump basket with an NPT fitting and an air compressor. My favorite is the Cyclone, (which I own) with a modified cover. Or you can remove some of the unions and push air through there. Remember as you push air through the system, it will push air through the filter and remove the water as well. If not, then you will have to figure out how to drain the cartridge filter. I personally drain my filter as water never enters as my MPV is on recirculate while closing the pool.

Please read this in its entirety as you will gain some more knowledge.

The concept of closing an in ground swimming pool

- - - Updated - - -

How I learned is by watching the first closing ($264 ouch), and paying attention to detail. Then I duplicated the procedures. As each year goes by, you will find that closing your own pool becomes easier and faster.

Some initial thoughts:

•I could disconnect the Intellichlor since I plan to bring it inside anyway and get direct access to the pipe leading to the returns. I will then put a dummy in it's place.

This is one place you could clear the lines from

I would then be able to open and close the pipes one by one as I blow them out and put the caps on each jet.

You could do this, but at least 2 people will be needed as one will need to shut off the blower not to build backpressure.

•I will drain the pump and the filter by removing the plugs.

Up to you. I do not remove the plugs but dry the basket up. I clear the lines from the basket and there is literally no water left. The screws could thread over time.

•Not sure how to drain the heater yet.

Shut off the gas to the heater and there may be a drain plug. The heaters I work with (friends pools as I am not in the business) do not have any drain plugs. As you clear the lines, the water is removed from the heater.

•Would I connect to the pump to blow out the skimmer and the drains (again I can use the valves and go one by one). But, how do I prevent the air from going through the filter instead of through the lines back to the returns?

Air through the filter and lines at the same time is no problem. Remove water with air and close off. Water will not come back into the system once you plug the end.

•The PB closed it last year and did not use anti-freeze and I don't want to use it either.

I do not use antifreeze, but entirely up to you.

•The water is currently halfway up the skimmers. It would be great if I don't have to lower it, but if I do, what's the best way to drain water from the pool given this set up (I had a leak last year so it drained "naturally"!)

Use an outdoor pump. Place on steps. Harbor Freight carries inexpensive ones.

Lastly, each pools plumbing is slightly different, but they all work the same way. Water comes into the pump/filter from the pool and returns from the pool. When you clear the lines, you are removing water with air. No matter where you star, the concept is all the same.

•I have an auto cover that I will use as my winter cover so I need that to be supported.

This one I can not help you with. You will have to figure out how to do this as to prevent any damage during the winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.