Advice for Hot Tub in AirBnB

The ControlOMatic line of SWG's have good reviews on Amazon. Maybe that's the way to go. I can provide simple instructions for guests, but there's no way to force them to do anything so I need some sort of fallback to keep things decent between weekly cleaning/maintenance between guests.
Even if they do add something, you’ll need something else to add chlorine through the rest of the week anyway, or after a weekend of heavy use it won’t make it till next weekend with a single dose of chlorine added afterwards. Spas have huge FC demands with heavy usage, and I imagine at a rental if used it’s likely to get heavy use.

Even a non-automatic SWCG will be better than nothing, though you’ll still have to rely on your renters putting it into the tub after use, as the hang over SWCGs are supposed to be removed before using the tub. Well, I should say the manual for my Saltron Mini says to remove before use, I cannot directly speak for other hang over brands.

Be sure to get at least one spare set of filters, you can remove and take one set for cleaning and immediately replace with a cleaned set.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Any reason not to just check and sanitize the spa when the place gets cleaned after renters have left and before new ones come in? Unless they’re renting for weeks at a time, I think I’d rather train a cleaning person to check the water and adjust appropriately than count on renters doing anything.
No reason at all, that's what I intend to do. My wife and I are the cleaning people (at least initially).

If we have multi-week renters, I'll just have to make arrangements for me to come over once a week to check the water.

But I'm concerned what might happen during the week. I can't seem to find any clear info on how fast chlorine becomes ineffective in the absence of any sunlight. I couldn't put a normal dose of chlorine in my pool and expect there to be any remaining after a week, but in a hot tub that's not used???

I guess it's not unreasonable to ask guests to add some pre-measured chlorine after they use the hot tub, but not everyone is going to use it.

Even a non-automatic SWCG will be better than nothing, though you’ll still have to rely on your renters putting it into the tub after use, as the hang over SWCGs are supposed to be removed before using the tub. Well, I should say the manual for my Saltron Mini says to remove before use, I cannot directly speak for other hang over brands.
Yeah, and then there's the possibility of breakage too. ControlOMatic has fittings to install the electrode in the filter compartment. Not sure if I have room for that or not. There's also inline versions of both of their spa SWCGs. The automatic one is $545, but that's probably a better choice as there's no way to predict how much the tub is going to be used, vs the one that only has a manual setting.

No reason at all, that's what I intend to do. My wife and I are the cleaning people (at least initially).

If we have multi-week renters, I'll just have to make arrangements for me to come over once a week to check the water.

But I'm concerned what might happen during the week. I can't seem to find any clear info on how fast chlorine becomes ineffective in the absence of any sunlight. I couldn't put a normal dose of chlorine in my pool and expect there to be any remaining after a week, but in a hot tub that's not used???

I guess it's not unreasonable to ask guests to add some pre-measured chlorine after they use the hot tub, but not everyone is going to use it.

maybe add a note in the rental agreement that they need to tell you if they want to use the hot tub in advance? At least then you know if you need to pay attention more closely than if they didn’t use it. Maybe don’t heat it either if not needed.

maybe add a note in the rental agreement that they need to tell you if they want to use the hot tub in advance? At least then you know if you need to pay attention more closely than if they didn’t use it. Maybe don’t heat it either if not needed.
Not a bad idea. Could save some $$$ on electricity costs. I'm a bit of a home automation geek. Could hook up a z-wave relay to remotely control the heater, in case they change their mind.

Nope, not there either. Hence why I said anything that adds chlorine automatically is better than nothing.

Yeah, and then there's the possibility of breakage too. ControlOMatic has fittings to install the electrode in the filter compartment. Not sure if I have room for that or not. There's also inline versions of both of their spa SWCGs. The automatic one is $545, but that's probably a better choice as there's no way to predict how much the tub is going to be used, vs the one that only has a manual setting.
Ah yes, forgot about their inline ones.

Not a bad idea. Could save some $$$ on electricity costs. I'm a bit of a home automation geek. Could hook up a z-wave relay to remotely control the heater, in case they change their mind.
I’d recommend you think about that before doing it. If for any reason something went wrong, and someone got injured, you’ve likely greatly increased your liability by modifying things. I’d also strongly suggest ensuring the spa and electrical are installed to code with appropriate permits.

You could always request they lower the temp, or lower when you clean and the next renters can raise it if they want to use the tub. Keep in mind time though, a 450 gallon tub will take almost 5.5 hours to heat from 80 to 104 with a 5000 watt heater. Well you will save some electricity keeping it cooler, you’ll have to balance that on the guests desire to use the hot tub, and changing their mind about using it.

I can’t tell you how much our tub uses in electricity a month, but even with a cover in bad shape in the winter I don’t think it’s more than $50-$70 at most, though electricity is cheap here in the Midwest. That said, we keep it at 100 throughout the entire Wisconsin winter, in Florida there’s probably not a huge payoff for lowering the temp between uses.

Case in point our last electric bill was 1514 kWh for the month ending a week ago. Our intex pump was running full time cause I hadn’t gotten it winterized yet, and that’s at least 250 kWh for the month based on pump power ratings. I’ve been running our furnace fan constant to help keep house temps consistent, which is 160 watts or another 116 kWh. And we have an electric dryer and electrical stove, based on previous housing locations without hot tubs seeing 500-600 kWh a month was not at all unusual. That puts a ballpark figure for our hot tub power usage, in average ambient temp of 35 maintained at 100, with a cover is very bad shape, at 550 kWh. At $0.12/kWh that’s $66 for the hot tub this past month. For a good hot tub in Florida I assume that will be less (though I don’t know your cost per kWh), but say you can save $25 a month. Is that worth the hassle of turning it up and down, or not having it ready if guests want to use it?

For a good hot tub in Florida I assume that will be less (though I don’t know your cost per kWh), but say you can save $25 a month. Is that worth the hassle of turning it up and down, or not having it ready if guests want to use it?
Electricity is fairly inexpensive down here. $0.086 for the first 1000 kwh, $0.106 over 1000kwh The cover is brand new so you're probably right that the cost to run this thing is going to be negligible, and not worth the inconvenience of not having it ready. I'll probably still put some sort of monitor on it though, to let me know if the breaker trips or someone turns it completely off. Will definitely be a learning experience, but it was with my pool at first too...

I would want a clause in the rental contract about non-liability for the use of the spa. I imagine the worst and wonder if some naive podunk renter whose never been in a hot tub & on blood pressure meds would get in, get drunk, pass out....go paws up.
It would also cover any claims of hot tub rash too, I imagine.
Use at your own risk.

Maddie :flower:

I would want a clause in the rental contract about non-liability for the use of the spa. I imagine the worst and wonder if some naive podunk renter whose never been in a hot tub & on blood pressure meds would get in, get drunk, pass out....go paws up.
It would also cover any claims of hot tub rash too, I imagine.
Use at your own risk.

Maddie :flower:
A big sticker ! Or a sign maybe?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
+3. One drink in a hot tub is equal to many more and rental folks would probably be partying more than the average hot tub user. Known/unknown medical issues could easily be exasperated by people who don’t know better just ‘having a good time’.

I dont think I would want the liability of a hot tub in a weekly rental property . That said ......
If I were going to have one, I would for sure, make sure the control pad could be locked . Dont want any guests changing all kinds of settings . Some hot tubs can lock only the important features, and leave the temp and light controls unlocked .
As for sanitation , I think a Saltron Mini could work well if hooked up and installed with owner and guest convenience in mind . We have a Saltron mini installed in our 400g tub and it works great . I have it hooked to a "smart outlet" (TP Link - KASA) , so I can set the schedule and control it remotely . You can schedule it to run during the overnight hours when you are least likely to have guests in the tub . You will never know the actual bather load at any given time, so that will be the tricky part . Also , you can install it to be easily removed by the guest when they want to use the tub (for safety) , with no actual effort by the guest . I installed ours attached to the underside of the cover directly in the center . When the cover is closed , the Saltron element hangs in the water about 2' .When the cover is lifted out of the way for use (using a Covermate 1) , the Saltron element simply lifts out of the water with the cover . When done using the tub, the Saltron element returns to the tub when the cover is closed. If for some reason the Saltron element is removed from the water (and powered "on") , it will just shut off automatically . Then when it is returned , it will just start back up again . Works pretty well ...........
Here is a picture of how it looks and works (Yes , our hot tub is in our garage , and yes it was by choice !)

uBEedim%RRCkd18C0umYuQ.jpg

zH3rDP1qRYqe6KyJtbJM3A.jpg

Last edited:
I installed ours attached to the underside of the cover directly in the center . When the cover is closed , the Saltron element hangs in the water about 2' .When the cover is lifted out of the way for use (using a Covermate 1) , the Saltron element simply lifts out of the water with the cover . When done using the tub, the Saltron element returns to the tub when the cover is closed. If for some readon the Saltron element is removed from the water , it will just shut off automatically . Then when it is returned , it will just start back up again . Works pretty well ...........
True ingenuity right there. I will be copying your idea for my tub!

Reactions: waterl0gged
I dont think I would want the liability of a hot tub in a weekly rental property . That said ......
If I were going to have one, I would for sure, make sure the control pad could be locked . Dont want any guests changing all kinds of settings . Some hot tubs can lock only the important features, and leave the temp and light controls unlocked .
As for sanitation , I think a Saltron Mini could work well if hooked up and installed with user and guest convenience in mind . We have a Saltron mini installed in our 400g tub and it works great . I have it hooked to a "smart outlet" (KASA) , so I can set the schedule and control it remotely . You can schedule it to run during the overnight hours when you are least likely to have guests in the tub . You will never know the actual bather load at any given time, so that will be the tricky part . Also , you can install it to be easily removed by the guest when they want to use the tub (for safety) , with no actual effort by the guest . I installed ours attached to the underside of the cover directly in the center . When the cover is closed , the Saltron element hangs in the water about 2' .When the cover is lifted out of the way for use (using a Covermate 1) , the Saltron element simply lifts out of the water with the cover . When done using the tub, the Saltron element returns to the tub when the cover is closed. If for some readon the Saltron element is removed from the water , it will just shut off automatically . Then when it is returned , it will just start back up again . Works pretty well ...........
Here is a picture of how it looks and works (Yes , our hot tub is in our garage , and yes it was by choice !)

View attachment 171077

View attachment 171078
Great setup! I leave mine in all the time hanging but i have seen tubs that are able to conceal them in the filter compartment. I wish I could have a covermate 😩

Reactions: waterl0gged
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.