Advice for a generator that would just run the pool panel pump?

KingpenM3

Jul 2, 2020
Louisiana
After our recent loss of power, I'm thinking that it would make sense to keep a small generator around just to plug into the (disconnected) pool panel. It doesn't look like the Pentair variable speed pump and panel would really need that large of a generator, but I can't really seem to find a "smaller" generator that does 220v. So I would love some advice on what size generator I should look for, and if anyone has found one that size in 220v that serves/could serve this purpose. Thanks!

M3,

I would think anything above 5KW would work.. The downside is that they only run for about 12 hours before needing to be refueled.

I thought about the same thing, but I'd only use it once every 50 years..

Let's see what our other members have to say..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I've been researching the same thing. Home Depot has a 3.8kW that generates 240v for about $400 and can run on propane or gasoline. I lean propane, because storing enough gasoline for several days (as Jim said) is a big hassle -- about 9 gallons a day, and gasoline goes bad if stored too long.

During this outage I had power (through no merit of my own) and I ran my variable speed pump at about 1kW. That kept the whole system circulating. Along with throwing a tarp on top (to reduce evaporation), it kept my water at 33F even on the nights with negative windchill. I had over an inch of ice on top of the tarp, but water was liquid & moving through the key areas.

Is your pool panel a subpanel off your main panel and has a circuit breaker on the main panel? If so, I'd have a transfer switch installed on your main panel and make sure the pool sub-panel is included. That way you can power more than just the pool which will justify a better generator.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Transfer switches do more than just let you select what you want powered, they also isolate the main service line from the generator. While rare, there are instances when line men have received electrocution injuries because a generator was not isolated from the line. In fact, your area may have code compliance - typically generators in contact with a home service panel are required to have transfer switches when they are over a certain power rating.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.