Adjusting PH with Borates

hawkmoon7

Nov 27, 2020
Florida
Poolmath calculator has helped me so much. But I've just added Borates. If I need to add muriatic acid to lower the PH, will the math still work, or do I need to add more to account for the added PH stabilization from the Borates?

Thanks for that. I enabled the borates tracking and entered in the current info. (That will definitely be helpful moving forward).

However, when I use the "effects of adding" calculator, it shows that muriatic acid will have the same impact regardless of the amount of borates I entered into the log. Is this correct? Will the addition of borates not affect the PH and TA effects of adding muriatic acid?

I would not use Effects of Adding for accurate data when you have borates in the water. It will greatly underestimate the amount of acid needed I believe.

Read the Note towards the bottom of Effect of Adding.

I see. Are you aware of any formula or borate adjustment factor that can be used? Will the borates affect anything when testing from the TFP kit, like CYA, for example? I'm sorry for all the questions, but I finally got everything perfect (mainly with help from you and TFP!), and I guess I'm not sure what testing and calculation results I can now trust with the addition of borates.

Borates will effect the calculation of CSI and the amount of acid needed to lower the pH. Poolmath handles it. Just go from the pH reading in your Overview when you wish to lower the pH.

Reactions: hawkmoon7
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.