Additional pump and main drain needed for water feature?

KeysNole

In The Industry
May 7, 2016
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
We are finalizing our remodel and had always planned to add a main drain/dedicated pump for our rock features. Our local CPC/plumbing expert says a large variable speed should be able to handle the job. His reasoning is that it won't be necessary to run the water feature and circulate the pool at the same time. We have a 15 x 30 pool, 8 x 8 spa, and our water feature's required flow will look something like this (the 1:00 mark is most accurate). Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated

I messed this up as I was just thinking about flow and not about how much water would be going to the waterfall... :eek: Well your builder is correct, these big VS pumps can do that easily and why not use one pump instead of 2 and you will be filtering the water going to the grotto.. Also really no need for a main drain now as some pools are not built with them anymore (my pool will not have one)..

Last edited:
K,

I would install separate drains and a pump designed for waterfalls. I would not run this water through the filter..

I like the idea of not forcing huge amounts of water through the filter and you live in Florida, the land of the Dinky filters...

I agree that you don't need main drains for normal pool use, so you can remove them, but I would want separate drains for the waterfall source.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Thanks for the replies. I do agree with the waterfalls not being filtered.

I know many run the VS pumps at a low speed for an extended time. Is it realistic to push the "low speed" volume of water through my regular circulation while running the water feature? I know that's a bit of a loaded/non precise question.

K,

If you have two pumps then running the waterfall and low speed circulation at the same times should not be a problem.

With one pump, I suspect the pump would have to run at full speed to move the amount of water your waterfall will need..

Not sure if I fully understand your question.. ?? :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim, here are my thoughts/questions as a non plumbing expert:

Can I have the line exiting my VS pump divert to both my water feature and return? If so, and if I am able to move enough water, it seems as though the only question is if the flow can fulfill what I need. My CPC says we will definitely want this on an automated system.

Although we are not looking to save money, we do realize that if we can eliminate a new main drain/VS pump, we can put that money into another aspect of the remodel.

K,

I can't see any reason that you can't add a valve after the pump and before the filter.. Some water would go through the filter and back to the pool returns.. Some water would go straight to the waterfall.

This would allow you to use just the waterfall or just the pool returns. The problem with automation is that it will only adjust this valve from one stop to the other.. This means you can't have three positions, as in off or on or half on and half off.. You can have multiple positions with a manual Jandy valve, but not with an automated valve..

Plus an automation system will cost much more than any extra pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.