Adding SWG to VS pump

New2PoolsInAZ

Jul 13, 2019
Sun City, AZ
I wanted to add a SWG to my new pool which already has a variable speed EcoStar pump. I was looking at the Hayward Goldline AQR15 AquaRite which seems easy to install. The issue is, it says you must wire it to the timer for the pump so it only runs when the pump runs, but my EcoStar always has power because it has a built-in timer. I searched a lot and some said to use complex setups with a current sensing relay that trips power to the SWG when the pump runs. Others said to use a timer but that is too risky for us. Are there any new ideas or products, for instance, a simple SWG that only powers when there is current? It would seem a no-brainer profit maker for the hardware manufacturers.

I am also confused because the Hayward Goldline AQR15 AquaRite has a flow control switch that only powers the unit when there is water flow. If that is the case, why can I not just leave the unit powered all the time and just have that switch dictate when it activates to generate chlorine?

Flow control switch should be secondary backup to shut off SWG. Primary power control should be an Intermatic timer or fancier automation. Then you have two levels of safety.

Why is a flow control switch not enough? What is the risk of it failing, or rather what would happen if it failed to shut off? Is belt and suspenders the approach to take with swcg power? I'm considering it for maybe next year, so now I'm gathering info.

In the old days of single speed pumps, the pump and the salt system were wired to the same timer.. This provided the Primary safety device to prevent the cell from getting power when the pump was off. The Flow Switch was the backup, or Secondary safety device, just in case..

This all changed when VS pumps came along because they get constant AC power.. For the lazy, relying on the Flow Switch works "most" of the time, but when it does not, it is possible for the cell to explode. Remember the Hindenburg? While explosions are rare, that does not mean they can't happen, as reported here on TFP.

A good analogy is driving around with your air bags disconnected... You can drive for thousands of miles without any problems at all, but all it takes is for all the right things to go wrong at the same time, and an accident happens and you wish you had the air bags connected.

Feel free to do what you want, but expect TFP to always recommend that you do it correctly.

Thanks,

Jim R.

In all properly designed safety systems there is a primary and secondary safety mechanism. Single points of failure causing an accident should not be allowed. In the case of the SWG it is the manufacturer provided flow switch and the installation instructions in most manuals saying to install it so it is powered off when the pump is not running.

The Boeing 737 Max is an example of what happens when a single point of failure is allowed in a safety system.

The instructions for the AquaRite say to install the flow switch but also say the unit must only run when the pump is active, so what Jimrahbe and ajw22 said is right. As for a timer being risky, it would only take the two timers to be out of sync, or the power cut off to the pump only, or the pump failing, then I would have a situation where the SWG would be running with no water flow. More likely, I would change the timer to run at a different time for a variety of reasons and forget to set the other timer, or set it wrong, I have a history of those sort of mistakes :)

You can use the Hayward AquaPlus, which is the automation box and cell. That would coordinate everything.
James, this is exactly what I was looking for :) I just read about it and it will control the pump and SWG and I will no longer control the pump from it's control board. I will do more investigation on this and if I proceed post back. It may be awhile, I got the wife to agree to a $40K+ pool just this year... not sure how she will react to adding a $1K+ SWG.

If you're going to buy a SWG anyway, the important metric is the price difference between the SWG by itself (plus any extra timers etc.) or the automation box that includes the cell.

By the time you buy the standalone SWG and separate timers or sensors, the total price should be comparable.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
....where someone used a current sensing relay, CR4395-EH-120-110-X-CD-ELR-I
I use that current sensing device device (CR4395-EH-120-110-X-CD-ELR-I). It senses current on one of the pump's 220v lines and switches 120V to my SWCG. Current trip point is adjustable. If you don't have 120 available there is a version that can switch 220V (see the second page of the above link). Not sure about it being complex. Its a device used in industrial application for motor control and monitoring. Just need to mount it in a box (weatherproof if install is outdoors), make some twist nut connections along with crimping four disconnect terminals. In my opinion is is comparable in cost and installation ease to a timer.
IMG_0352.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.