Adding steps to inground vinyl pool

Apr 22, 2011
North Florida
I'm planning on replacing my 16x32 in-ground liner some time this year. The pool doesn't have any steps and I was thinking (fantasizing) about adding steps-under-vinyl like the ones in this picture: 42" High x 20' Wide x 6" Radius Full Width Steel Step. On that same website, I came across this: 90 Deg. Full Width Drop In Steel Step (16' Wide) 42" w/ 6" Radius Inserts which seems like it would fit my pool perfectly. Does anyone have any experience with this product? What do they mean by open-top steps? Are you supposed to fill them with concrete or something?

I'm pretty handy, but I"m not quite sure this is DIY... I'm certainly planning to hire someone to do the liner. I guess I should just ask them, but I thought I'd check here with you friendly people first :)

I think @jimmythegreek has commented about adding steps to vinyl pools in other threads. Let's see if he passes by here.

They are steel skeleton steps. You screw them in and fill with concrete. Depending on the thickness you can fill with gravel base and then concrete. The pool base needs to be removed and a compacted base setup first then the steps then patch the floor

Is there any concern with the concrete causing the steps to bow out from the pressure? Or is the construction usually sufficient to resist that?

They are braced like crazy front to back as well as side to side. It's like a bunch of smaller boxes tied together. You can do it in sections doeant have to be one pour all at once. Any larger spans just add stakes or rebar bracing I've never had an issue yet

Reactions: bmoreswim
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.