Adding Soda Ash

The TFP recommended TA levels of 50-90 are based on the assumption of adding liquid chlorine or a SWCG as the primary chlorine source, since tablets are not generally recommended for the primary chlorine source here as previously discussed. When using liquid chlorine or a SWCG, a TA in this range will typically give a fairly steady pH, or slowly climbing, the latter of which can be easily adjusted by occasional acid additions which work to making the pH even more stable over time.

If you use trichlor as your primary source of chlorine, since that is essentially like adding acid continuously it results in a pH drop when your TA is at these levels. So you need to run a higher TA than what is listed as the TFP recommended levels to have a steady pH, since you’re not chlorinating per the two primary methods TFP recommends. Make sense?
I think I’m getting it now. So the app itself isn’t for “everyone”. It’s for pools based off SWG. I need to mess around with my numbers to go with what I have.

trial and error. I think I may make the switch to borax over soda ash, see what happens and go from there.
Thanks everyone.

The TFP recommended TA levels of 50-90 are based on the assumption of adding liquid chlorine or a SWCG as the primary chlorine source, since tablets are not generally recommended for the primary chlorine source here as previously discussed. When using liquid chlorine or a SWCG, a TA in this range will typically give a fairly steady pH, or slowly climbing, the latter of which can be easily adjusted by occasional acid additions which work to making the pH even more stable over time.

If you use trichlor as your primary source of chlorine, since that is essentially like adding acid continuously it results in a pH drop when your TA is at these levels. So you need to run a higher TA than what is listed as the TFP recommended levels to have a steady pH, since you’re not chlorinating per the two primary methods TFP recommends. Make sense?

I think I I’m getting the hang of it….slowly

I just added 1 pound of borax 20 to hopefully bring the PH up to 7.5/7.6

added hardness early this morning, and that worked as it was supposed to.

I know this may be a stupid question…but my dad when he had his pool while I was younger from my local pool company (I think they are still in business) always got 5 gallon drums of liquid.

Let’s say I go that route, how do I figure out how much I need if I switch to liquid over the 3” tabs for my size pool? Does that just get dumped in near a return?

I’m used to the tabs in a float.

I’ll do some research in the mean time. Bigger problem is I’m losing water I feel at a quick rate and having to refill every 2 days. Probably not helping my situation.

The problem with sodium carbonate is that the carbonate connects to calcium and you get calcium carbonate.

Ca2+ + CO3 2- --> CaCO3

Calcium + carbonate --> calcium carbonate.

Carbonate has a charge of -2 which attracts the calcium which has a charge of +2.

Borates from borax provide hydroxide, which has a charge of -1, which does not really connect to the calcium in a significant way.

B(OH)4- --> B(OH)3 + OH-

Borate --> Boric acid + hydroxide

Last edited:
I know this may be a stupid question…but my dad when he had his pool while I was younger from my local pool company (I think they are still in business) always got 5 gallon drums of liquid.

Let’s say I go that route, how do I figure out how much I need if I switch to liquid over the 3” tabs for my size pool? Does that just get dumped in near a return?

I’m used to the tabs in a float.
The app tells you. If you click on the “FC” there is a “current free chlorine” and a “target free chlorine”. Current will be pre-filled with your latest test results. Target will be pre-filled with a value within the recommended FC/CYA ratio. Both can be adjusted. Select the type of chlorine, “bleach” for any liquid chlorine, % concentration, and it lists how much to add.

It works for more than liquid chlorine too. Cal-hypo, dichlor, trichlor, it’s pretty much all in there.

Pool stores often sell refillable 5 gallon jugs, but I don’t have a good pool store and get 12.5% in 1-gallon jugs from Menards for $3.99/gallon. You don’t have Menards but Home Depot, Walmart, etc often sell liquid chlorine in 10%-12.5% during the pool season.

Reactions: apellegrino8
The app tells you. If you click on the “FC” there is a “current free chlorine” and a “target free chlorine”. Current will be pre-filled with your latest test results. Target will be pre-filled with a value within the recommended FC/CYA ratio. Both can be adjusted. Select the type of chlorine, “bleach” for any liquid chlorine, % concentration, and it lists how much to add.

It works for more than liquid chlorine too. Cal-hypo, dichlor, trichlor, it’s pretty much all in there.

Pool stores often sell refillable 5 gallon jugs, but I don’t have a good pool store and get 12.5% in 1-gallon jugs from Menards for $3.99/gallon. You don’t have Menards but Home Depot, Walmart, etc often sell liquid chlorine in 10%-12.5% during the pool season.
Going to the pool store tomorrow to see what they have if anything

attached pictures is the HD app. And I right on what I am looking at bleach 7.7%?

121 oz for $6.58

Attachments

• 1D954E87-F0A5-41AC-A380-2D88DA52EB60.jpeg
    1D954E87-F0A5-41AC-A380-2D88DA52EB60.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 4
  • EA155297-D396-428F-A780-1D577C86D3B4.jpeg
    EA155297-D396-428F-A780-1D577C86D3B4.jpeg
    283.2 KB · Views: 4
You do not want to use Clorox bleach.

Home Depot carries either HDX Chlorinating Liquid or Pool Essentials. Typically in the outdoor garden section.

Had success with my first time using Boarx 20.

Do I have to add to the skimmer or is this something I can just add directly to the pool itself? I couldn't find anything on here, and everything on YouTube had the Borax added to the skimmer.

Do I have to add to the skimmer or is this something I can just add directly to the pool itself? I couldn't find anything on here, and everything on YouTube had the Borax added to the skimmer.
From Pool School
Borax is best added by pre-dissolving it in a bucket of water and then pouring that slowly in front of a return.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.