Adding salt without SWG!

PoolUmp

Silver Supporter
Aug 15, 2016
Bakersfield/CA
I added salt to my pool today. I got tired of harsh water causing kids’ eye irritation and causing me dry itchy skin. I do not have a SWG. Do I balance my water based on Salt Water chart now?
Latest numbers:

TC- 6
CC- 0
TA- 70
PH- 7.2
CH- 250

Any other tips? I added a lot of salt (280 lbs to a 15k gal pool!)

Reactions: Ignoramus
Both of those issues are normally tied to CC or more likely pH out of range.

How are you testing your water chemistry?

And no, you do not have a SWCG. The salt is immaterial.

I’ve been using TFP method for 3 years. It’s such a breeze. But my CC has been zero all year. No algae problems, no CYA issues. I thought it was a CC issue too, but that doesn’t seem to be the problem. I will tell you, since adding the salt, the water is incredibly smooth and comfortable! The ph was only low because I added a little more acid than I meant to this morning. I have a water feature, so the PH tends to trend upward. I’ve been at like 7.8 for the past few days with incredibly uncomfortable water

The SWG section of the FC/CYA Levels is for if you are chlorinating your pool with a Salt Water Generator. Generating Chlorine through electrolysis of saline changes the dynamics of the chemistry requiring a higher level of CYA. You are still chlorinating with liquid chlorine but have salt in the pool so its still considered a non SWG pool. You are not using a generator. Hope that makes sense.

BTW if your swimmers are experiencing irritation, its not for lack of salt. There is something else going on with your chemistry. What method are you using to test your water?

The SWG section of the FC/CYA Levels is for if you are chlorinating your pool with a Salt Water Generator. Generating Chlorine through electrolysis of saline changes the dynamics of the chemistry requiring a higher level of CYA. You are still chlorinating with liquid chlorine but have salt in the pool so its still considered a non SWG pool. You are not using a generator. Hope that makes sense.

BTW if your swimmers are experiencing irritation, its not for lack of salt. There is something else going on with your chemistry. What method are you using to test your water?
The best method! I don’t know what else it could be? All my numbers are perfect.

You have not posted CYA levels, we need that number. You can try to hold your ph closer to 7.2-7.5 and reassess the eye discomfort. Most probably is you have a low CYA, FC of 6 is for a cya of 50. Also do you use a lot of sun tan blocker on the kids?

You have not posted CYA levels, we need that number. You can try to hold your ph closer to 7.2-7.5 and reassess the eye discomfort. Most probably is you have a low CYA, FC of 6 is for a cya of 50. Also do you use a lot of sun tan blocker on the kids?
So, if I increase CYA (which I’ve been hesitant to do after learning this method), that might reduce irritation?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ump,

I don't know why but just the relatively low levels of salt seem to make the water feel much less harsh. But it definitely does. Before I installed my swg a little over a year ago I added salt and chlorinated with liquid chlorine as @mguzzy described above. I wanted to see if my wife would like it before I spent the big $ on the swg installation. Took less than a minute and she loved it. Won't ever let me go back to non-salt. We run our pH at high end of the scale around 7.8 and have no eye discomfort. CC is almost always 0. No burning and we swim almost every day. We run CYA at 70 spring through late fall because it dramatically reduces chlorine consumption and has no effect on comfort. We had non-salt for about 5 years and my wife would always have to get out earlier than me due to skin discomfort and itchiness. Now we both stay in around an hour and never have any discomfort. This level of salt is just right. Don't feel the sticky salt feel from the ocean just kind of smooth. If you decide to let the pH stay higher you may also consider lowering TA to less than 80 and even adding borates. This has stabilized pH considerably. Only need to add acid once per week or less even with the spillover running about 4 hours per day.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Do not change your CYA. You need to keep the pH in the 7.0-7.5 range. CYA only effects how quickly the sun burns off chlorine. If you raise the CYA your will need to raise the FC to stay in the correct ratio. Pools with SWG can run lower FC levels because the SWG creates constant small doses of chlorine when the pump is running.

Salt added to the pool can improve the feel of the water, as you have noticed, but without a SWG to add chlorine it doesn't change your target levels for CYA or FC.

I’ve been using TFP method for 3 years. It’s such a breeze. But my CC has been zero all year. No algae problems, no CYA issues. I thought it was a CC issue too, but that doesn’t seem to be the problem. I will tell you, since adding the salt, the water is incredibly smooth and comfortable! The ph was only low because I added a little more acid than I meant to this morning. I have a water feature, so the PH tends to trend upward. I’ve been at like 7.8 for the past few days with incredibly uncomfortable water

If you want to make it feel and look even better, and stabilize PH, consider adding borates sometime.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.