Adding heater to small inground pool

Apr 22, 2018
Wayne, PA
Hi,

I have a small in ground pool ... maybe 12-14k gallons. It was built a long time ago and we have no idea how old it is. But I suspect it is quite old.

It has one skimmer and two returns on a 1.5" pipe. The pool equipment is very far from the pool, thanks to someone in the past having moved the equipment from the original pad to the new place. Because of that, they simply plumbed pipes from the old pad to the new pad... so sorta doubling the distance the water has to run (if that makes sense).

Anyway - we want a heater now. I am considering a RayPak 336k BTU heater. I know flow is important, so I installed a gauge recently and found we have ~35-45 GPM. Which should be good for this heater.

How would this work for my pool on my 1.5" piping? I seem to have a suction leak from somewhere bringing some air into the lines - is that going to be an issue?

Do I need to install a bypass?

Anything else I need to know?

1.5” plumbing is not an issue.

Your air leak effects your pump and filter more then a heater.

A bypass is recommended - Heater Bypass - Further Reading

Your gas line have the capacity for the heater?

336K is fine for your size pool. Going to 400K may give you another half a degree an hour in heating.

How much is there a difference in price? For a small amount I would get the cupro-nickel exhanger?.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.