Adding Hayward to Intex 18x48

tech_east

May 18, 2020
DE
Hey all...I've been browsing various threads which have answered quite a bit of questions for me thus far such as:

But I am still perplexed on a few details. I am planning on adding the regular Hayward model (not widemouth...I think) SP1091LX and the issue I am having is I don't know exactly where to put it in relation to my other two returns. I also have questions on whether I should cut the bigger openings on the other return that I will be using in addition to the new skimmer (to use for vacuuming as some people have done). I will post a pic so everyone can see what I am talking about.

Last edited:
Reactions: thefloatqueen
Hey all...I've been browsing various threads which have answered quite a bit of questions for me thus far such as:

But I am still perplexed on a few details. I am planning on adding the regular Hayward model (not widemouth...I think) SP1091LX and the issue I am having is I don't know exactly where to put it in relation to my other two returns. I also have questions on whether I should cut the bigger openings on the other return that I will be using in addition to the new skimmer (to use for vacuuming as some people have done). I will post a pic so everyone can see what I am talking about.
Oh and I do not have the wide mouth Hayward skimmer either. It’s the same one you’re referring to! I have it in my signature. 😊

I think the answer is ping pong balls or does that just confuse things?

If I’ve understood previous guidance the “best” place for it is where it will catch most stuff. That is different for each pool as prevailing wind etc will affect this. The ping pong balls can be put into your pool and you can watch where they end up living (with pump turned on to generate the flow as that’s when the skimmer will be taking water in). Put the skimmer where it would catch the ping pong balls. You might have to try it on a few days to see what your prevailing wind is.

Practically though most people put it near their other inlets / returns as it keeps the pipe work shorter. it will still catch stuff as the water flow will draw stuff in. It’s probably easier in a round pool (urgh mine is rectangular) as there are no corners for things to hide in.

Thanks everyone for their replies....I really appreciate it!

Yes I meant intake / inlet and not return...my apologies. I understand that it really depends on how your particular pool is set up and prevailing wind and all that...but I'd really like to get this installed before the season. So with that in mind, I am really only considering two different places for the new skimmer: 1. In between the two intakes or 2. To the right of intake on the right side of the pool in the picture...where basically I had the intex clamp on skimmer installed this past season.

Also, can anyone assist on how to convert the small hole inlet over to the big hole like I see in a lot of the pictures (sorry for the crappy terminology). I think someone mentioned they were hayward add-ons or something in some of the other posts I've ready. I just assumed it was something I would have to order directly from intex? Not sure I will be good at taking a razor knife to enlarged the hole but I'd be willing to give it a whirl. Basically I was thinking to just enlarge one of the holes and then put a 3/4 pvc pipe with hose clamp in the other one to keep it closed off. This way I am only using the skimmer and the inlet on the left as intakes. Hope all that makes sense?

Reactions: thefloatqueen
Just bumping this to advise I purchased the Hayward skimmer yesterday so should be here in a few days....any comments / suggestions on my thoughts for placement as well as how to enlarge the separate inlet hole?

I am also planning on hard piping / pvc the skimmer as well as the other inlet hole. I wanted to verify if there is a piece that comes with the new hayward skimmer that screws into the bottom of the skimmer and then the other end you connect your pvc piping to? I am a little confused about that part of it......any help would be greatly appreciated as to what part or parts are used to accomplish this.

Thanks!

Just bumping this to advise I purchased the Hayward skimmer yesterday so should be here in a few days....any comments / suggestions on my thoughts for placement as well as how to enlarge the separate inlet hole?

I am also planning on hard piping / pvc the skimmer as well as the other inlet hole. I wanted to verify if there is a piece that comes with the new hayward skimmer that screws into the bottom of the skimmer and then the other end you connect your pvc piping to? I am a little confused about that part of it......any help would be greatly appreciated as to what part or parts are used to accomplish this.

Thanks!
On the bottom of the skimmer there’s an outside threaded portion that is a proprietary size, but there’s an inside threaded portion that is a standard size. Since the skimmer will likely come with a hose barb that screws in there, you can take that piece with you to get a same-sized standard connector that will screw into the bottom of the skimmer, and allow you to attach 1.5” pvc at the other end. I’d connect that to a ball valve so you have a way to shut off water flow if you need to.

Reactions: tech_east
My apologies to continue on hounding this thread with questions....lol but just a few more that I did not get specific answers to but I did some research and just wanted to be sure they will work before ordering. As stated above I would like to swap out the smaller intex strainer inlets with something that 1.5 pvc will connect to and also that I can connect a vacuum hose to on the inside of the pool. I search around and found these made by Hayward and was thinking about cutting a hole and installing...will this work?

Inlet: https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP10...VYQTX9VH8FM&psc=1&refRID=1TRY49QWFVYQTX9VH8FM

Inlet fitting for inside for safety: Amazon.com : Hayward SP1026 Vinyl/Fiberglass Inlet Fittings for Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Garden & Outdoor

Thanks for anyone that can assist.....will be hard piping connections over the next few weeks so would like to get all my parts / etc ordered. Appreciate it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Need to bump this thread to get some additional assistance with answering some questions about how high the hayward skimmer can be placed. With my pool I looked back on pics and noticed that I keep a relativity high water level (maybe 1 or 2 blocks down) from where the grey starts. I played around yesterday with the hayward face plate that goes on the inside of the pool and if I place the top of the face plate right underneath where the grey starts I feel like the water level will be too high into the skimmer and a lot of water will splash out when people are in the pool. So then I moved the face plate up just so the top screws are into the bottom part of the grey and the water level is still 1/2 to 3/4 high up the face plate but I think it would be more manageable. So my question is....is there anything wrong with moving the skimmer up just a little bit so the top screws are int the grey to help with water level? You still are only cutting the liner in the main blue area because of the thickness of the face plate so it should not hamper the integrity of the liner or anything I wouldn't think. I have seen a few pics on this forum of where people did mount the skimmer a little higher into the grey area but I just wanted to be sure.

Also, my other question would be...is there any "limits or issues" with the skimmer and my other inlet valve being close together (same 36" section of area basically). I looked at it last night and the plumbing would be easier if I moved my skimmer over just a bit so it was in the same square or area between the pole mounts as my other inlet versus having to run the pipe from the next bay over. I would have to use a few 45 angle pvc attachments and such. Not sure if that makes sense or not but I can explain better if needed.

Thanks for any help / guidance you can provide!

View attachment 315953
Here’s how I had mine, and the thin red line is where I kept my water level. Worked fine.
Thank you very much for your response and picture. I will go ahead and move my up a little on the grey like you did and that should be sufficient.

Any comments / recommendations on how close the skimmer can be to your other inlet? I have 2 inlets currently but I will cover one up / abandon one and just use the skimmer as main and the other smaller one as a vacuum port like I've read on this forum. Just curious if you can put them somewhat close together or does it really matter on the spacing....?

Here’s what I did.
Yep...mine is basically the exact same setup. I was just wanting to move the skimmer from where your showing the current location to the same area / square as the other inlet. Didn't know if that is ok or appropriate to do or if it would somehow hinder the return water flow having two inlets (skimmer and reg inlet) so close together. Just wasn't sure so figured I would reach out and see if anyone had any ideas.

I am planning on hard piping everything and with the skimmer and the other inlet in the same general area / square (between the same two pool structure rails) it would make connecting the two together easier.

Thanks for attaching your pool pic and your feedback...certainly appreciate it. I guess I will wait to see if anyone else who has hard piped or done something similar chimes in on whether its ok to do this.

I would not put skimmer and return super close together if you have an option, unless your return can be adjusted to direct water in opposite direction, to create circulation. My current permanent above ground has the return and skimmer within 3 feet of each other, but I have the return’s eye directed away from skimmer.

Reactions: tech_east
Kelly-

Are you sure we are talking about the same thing? You mentioned putting skimmer and return close together....I am not referencing the return (valve that returns the water to the pool from the SWG or pump). I was inquiring if it would be ok to move the skimmer closer to the other inlet (valve that takes water from the pool into the pump). Please see the attached picture I created with what I am "proposing" to do.....

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were asking. Since you are talking about only using the one inlet when you vacuum, i don’t think it will matter.

I only kept my second inlet 1/4 open so the skimmer would draw in better.

Just wanted to finally post back a message along with a picture on my conversion from intex soft hose to pvc hard pipe. I was able to get the skimmer installed and even have plans to run a "fountain" off of the return line:)

Thanks for everyone's help with my many questions!

Looks awesome!! Good job! 😬

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.