Adding Grab rail 1 year afterbuild

jtburf

Jun 8, 2015
Houston, TX
Okay, So April 2019 we had Fiberglass Inground installed and love the pool, recently we have had older family member use the pool and they are having issues getting in and out without a grab rail. I know the pool is bonded as I watched and made sure of that. Well I need to add a grab rail and I do not plan to core drill or saw cut the cement deck. So here are my questions.
1. Install stainless grab rail using 4 @ 1/2" diameter cement expansion bolts.
2. Install a Polymer Handrail same mounting style, with expansion bolts in the cement.

My issue and or questions are as follows.
Without being able to bond the Stainless rail how much danger does this actually pose? Is the bonding required if mounting bolts do not go through the poured cement?
If I go Polymer, does that negate the need for bonding as it is non conductive material?

Thanks
John

John,

If ya want ugly, I got one for ya...

At my house I am the old sod that needs a hand rail... :mrgreen:

I built the pool without one not realizing the problem.. While it is ugly, it works for me, and it has the added benefit of keeping the end of the rail out of the water.

I am not sure if it is some composite or just coated, but the instructions say that bonding is not necessary.

It is held down with expansion bolts.. I don't remember the size but 1/2" sounds about right.

I believe that bonding is similar to your car's air bags.. By that I mean not needed until the point of impact.. If the pool water becomes electrified, it keeps you from shocked because everything is at the same potential.

Thanks,

Jim R.

John,

If ya want ugly, I got one for ya...

At my house I am the old sod that needs a hand rail... :mrgreen:

I built the pool without one not realizing the problem.. While it is ugly, it works for me, and it has the added benefit of keeping the end of the rail out of the water.

I am not sure if it is some composite or just coated, but the instructions say that bonding is not necessary.

It is held down with expansion bolts.. I don't remember the size but 1/2" sounds about right.

I believe that bonding is similar to your car's air bags.. By that I mean not needed until the point of impact.. If the pool water becomes electrified, it keeps you from shocked because everything is at the same potential.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim,

Thanks, I am more worried about ulgy when an elder falls and cracks their coconut open on my Travertine!!! That is just about what I am looking at.

Thanks
John

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.