Adding DE - without using skimmer

Aug 21, 2018
Chicago, IL
We have an issue with our skimmer - which we’re working on. The skimmer is closed off from the pump and plugged. But in the meantime, we’d like our DE filter (Pentair FNS Plus) to start filtering out the dead algae and the like from opening the pool. I’m trying to figure out a way to add DE without going through the skimmer.

Obviously, this is not a permanent issue. This is just for a short time until the skimmer is fixed. I make a slurry with my DE and water. Can I progressively add it through the pump basket - basically using it like a “prime” for the pump? I realize this will take a few starts & stops of the pump, but again - it’s not permanent.

Without your skimmer operational where does your pump get suction water from?

From a post by @1poolman1 from another thread:
Open filter, try to drain water below the tank half (or use a scoop to remove some), pour DE into tank (it will settle into any water in the tank, close filter, turn on pump. Works.

From a post by @1poolman1 from another thread:

Great find!

So with my filter - it sounds like the easiest thing to do is: drain my filter completely by removing the drain plug from the bottom. Then take off the filter clamp, remove the top half of the filter, then the grid assembly - and then put water and DE in the bottom half of the filter. (With this filter, I think that would be easier than trying to “guess” when it’s half full.)

Does that sound right?

So with my filter - it sounds like the easiest thing to do is: drain my filter completely by removing the drain plug from the bottom. Then take off the filter clamp, remove the top half of the filter, then the grid assembly - and then put water and DE in the bottom half of the filter. (With this filter, I think that would be easier than trying to “guess” when it’s half full.)

Does that sound right?

Don't remove the grids.

Just remove the top and scoop DE into the bottom around the grids.

Reassemble and turn on the pump.

Just for the sake of simplicity - the process I originally described of putting the DE through the pump basket wouldn’t work?

I think you run the risk of ruining the grids getting debris on the grids before DE is coating them adequately.

It will be difficult knowing you have the proper amount of DE in the filter.

Give it a try if you are willing to sacrifice a set of grids.

Just for the sake of simplicity - the process I originally described of putting the DE through the pump basket wouldn’t work?
Can be done that way, but how much time do you have? Open pump, put in a very small amount so as to not clog the impeller, start pump wait for it to prime then run for about 30 seconds. Repeat until all DE is in the filter. Or, add all at once to an open filter tank.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.