adding DE to sand filter

May 18, 2018
Ontario Canada
Added DE to my sand filter today (1/4 cup in a bucket of water poured into skimmer).
in the time it took for it to go through the hoses (fill the pre-filter basket) the return water started to turn cloudy (the light tan color of the DE water). Now the pool water looks a bit cloudy. Didn't add anymore even though the pressure didn't really move.
Is this normal? Or is something in my filter messed up?
It generally does a good job and has pretty good suction.

Not normal. The DE should not have passed through the filter.
Could be an problem in your backwash valve or in the filter itself.

Have you inspect and deep cleaned the sand?

jbizzle - thanks for the quick reply. I didn't think it was normal but wanted to check - you guys are awesome!

I had never deep cleaned the sand filter - never knew there was such a thing. Found the tutorial on this site and went ahead and did it. That was GROSS. Lots of trash coming up - couldn't even see the sand in the top for the first 5-7 minutes. Then I thought I was hitting the cross members and didn't want to break them but it felt like I wasn't deep enough. Sure enough, it was just a solid layer of sand crud about 5" from the bottom. It felt like a crust. Once I broke through that it got really gross again - leaves and bugs and hair and oil all coming to the surface. Got it nice and clean now.
Also, since I was already partially apart I took the top of the filter apart and inspected the spider gasket - it looked fine.
Hooked everything back up, added the DE and return was completely clear this time!!
Thanks for the help again.

Reactions: Aznewmom
jbizzle - thanks for the quick reply. I didn't think it was normal but wanted to check - you guys are awesome!

I had never deep cleaned the sand filter - never knew there was such a thing. Found the tutorial on this site and went ahead and did it. That was GROSS. Lots of trash coming up - couldn't even see the sand in the top for the first 5-7 minutes. Then I thought I was hitting the cross members and didn't want to break them but it felt like I wasn't deep enough. Sure enough, it was just a solid layer of sand crud about 5" from the bottom. It felt like a crust. Once I broke through that it got really gross again - leaves and bugs and hair and oil all coming to the surface. Got it nice and clean now.
Also, since I was already partially apart I took the top of the filter apart and inspected the spider gasket - it looked fine.
Hooked everything back up, added the DE and return was completely clear this time!!
Thanks for the help again.
It's going to filter a whole lot better now, whether or not you add DE again!

And now the blatant pitch since we saved you much time and grief..

I read that you don't need to add DE to a sand filter if it's working fine... will DE cause problems if added to a good working sand filter?

No. It will just filter out finer material and then backwash as normal when pressure rises 25% above clean pressure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK - I figured out the other part of my problem - the DE that was given to me by the previous pool owner was 'food grade'.
Looking for a source of DE here in Canada. My local pool store has it in 10lb and 25lb bags (although they really had no idea what I was asking for when I said I was looking for DE filter media - she thought I wanted calcium carbonate haha). The price was $30 for the 10lb bag and $55 for the 25lb bag. How do those prices compare to what others are paying? I realize (and regrettably accept) that prices in Canada will be higher than in the USA but just wanted to make sure that it wasn't a case of really being gouged. If it is, say, 75% cheaper in FLA (for example) I can just use the sand filter alone this year and bring a bag of it back with me in the winter when I go to FLA.
I am guessing that the 10lb bag is loads for just adding it to a sand filter a cup or 2 at a time??

25 pounds is $20-25 around here. Check Walmart or the hardware stores.

Walmart and the hardware stores (Lowes, Home Depot, RONA, Home Hardware, Canadian Tire) only carry the garden insecticide or bedbug DE (and it is crazy expensive $10 for 1/2lb). That isn't the same thing as Pool DE (from what I understand)?? The Walmarts in Canada don't have much of a pool section (limited to 1 shelf for the hth chemicals and the intex inflatable pools).
Found another pool store that carries the 25lb bags for $43 (which is close to $32 US). It is more than I wanted but I guess if it doesn't get wet it will last indefinitely.

At my US Walmart, the DE is sold by HTH as “De Filter aid”

But, wow, Walmart Canada seems to be showing $86 for 25lbs of HTH... I guess I need to figure out how to bootleg the $9.98 10lb boxes from here.

At my US Walmart, the DE is sold by HTH as “De Filter aid”

But, wow, Walmart Canada seems to be showing $86 for 25lbs of HTH... I guess I need to figure out how to bootleg the $9.98 10lb boxes from here.

Well, that $86 De Filter Aid isn't actually being sold by walmart.ca. For some reason, walmart in Canada decided it was a good idea to open up their online website to third party sellers (like amazon and ebay). The prices from these sellers are way out to lunch and even though it appears you are buying from Walmart - you are NOT (and most of these third party sellers offer no return policy).

I will highly support adding DE to sand filter. My pool had the greenish tone no matter how much I brush and add bleach in it. After adding some Sparkle Up - there was a major change in color and increase filter pressure.
Now after 2 days of starting to add Sparkle Up, pools i back to blue color that I want.

Now I am gonna switch to DE since I am coming to realize they are the same material.
Shop Clorox PoolSpa 24-lb D E Pool Filter Aid at Lowes.com 24 pound for 23 dollars
https://www.amazon.com/BioGuard-Sparkle-Up-1-5-Lb/dp/B006MHSFGQ 1.5 pound for 29 dollars

Just be mindful of your pressure since it is going to go up, backwash and repeat until you have the results you want.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.