Adding CYA

bryanq480

Jul 16, 2020
tempe, az
just drained pool for new plaster/waterline tile, and pool is filling up right now
pool is 20k and I plan on adding it to them skimmer, about 5 pounds to get CYA around 30.
Should I backwash before as the package states?
my normal reading is 10 PSI, and before it was drained reading was about 10.5 - 11 PSI.

From linked article above:
Solid stabilizer is best added by placing it in a sock or nylon and hanging that sock in front of fast moving return(s). Shaking and squeezing the sock while in the pool water will help the stabilizer dissolve faster.

Alternatively, the sock can be placed into the skimmer basket BUT it should only be left in there if the pump is continuously running and not turned on and off by a timer. CYA is acidic when it dissolves into water and so it is not a good idea to leave the sock in the skimmer without the pump running.

Pouring granular CYA into the pool directly, or into the skimmer as recommended on stabilizer bottles, is not recommended as it takes a long time to dissolve and the granules can sit against the pool surface creating locally low pH levels.

The pump should be run for 24 hours after adding solid stabilizer and you should avoid backwashing/cleaning the filter for a few days if stabilizer was added to the skimmer.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Solid stabilizer is best added by placing it in a sock or nylon and hanging that sock in front of fast moving return(s). Shaking and squeezing the sock while in the pool water will help the stabilizer dissolve faster.

Alternatively, the sock can be placed into the skimmer basket BUT it should only be left in there if the pump is continuously running and not turned on and off by a timer. CYA is acidic when it dissolves into water and so it is not a good idea to leave the sock in the skimmer without the pump running.

Pouring granular CYA into the pool directly, or into the skimmer as recommended on stabilizer bottles, is not recommended as it takes a long time to dissolve and the granules can sit against the pool surface creating locally low pH levels.

The pump should be run for 24 hours after adding solid stabilizer and you should avoid backwashing/cleaning the filter for a few days if stabilizer was added to the skimmer.

so I use hair nets in my skimmer, should i take out the hair net before I put in the CYA? I think I will just put in skimmer as my pump runs 24/7 anyway.

so I use hair nets in my skimmer, should i take out the hair net before I put in the CYA? I think I will just put in skimmer as my pump runs 24/7 anyway.
The key is to not let the granules get into the filter. You may need to backwash due to plaster dust and you would have zero idea how much undissolved CYA may have gotten flushed away with it. So keep it out of the filter by whatever means.

After a number of days to a week, I can change the filter after adding the CYA, correct?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.