Bronze Supporter
Jun 7, 2018
Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I had a little bit (like maybe a cup or two) of granular cya left over from when I did a CYA add via sock method. I am still just a little short of my target of 40 and am wondering why is there a requirement for 24 hours of filter time? What if I just added a sprinkle every now and then? (I don’t have a variable speed pump so would prefer to not be spinning the electric meter if at all possible.) I guess I could use some trichlor shock but in the past when I have used it it doesn’t seem to move the CYA level much. How long does it take for CYA from trichlor shock to show up?

Granular CYA takes awhile to dissolved when just put in the skimmer without a sock and allowed to travel to the filter undissolved. In fact, it has been shown in some cases to just stay in the filter (low flow areas) undissolved. The best way to dissolve granular CYA is to put it in the filter sock, let it sit in a skimmer for around 30 minutes, and then squeeze it all out. No wait is needed using this method.

CYA is still an acid, even if it's mild, so leaving it sit in the basket without water flow is not a good idea. If you don't want to leave the pump run, pull the sock and set it in a bucket while the pump is off. Or dangle the sock off a pool noodle or some other floating device and let it bob around in the pool

cya-suspneded-jpg.36622

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.