Adding chemicals in batches?

ch3cooh

Nov 28, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Pool Size
I've seen it suggested in different places (e.g. Taylor test kit booklet) that you should not add the total amount of a given chemical to the water at once. (For example, add half the dose, then a quarter, then the other quarter, spaced out over time).

On this forum, I haven't seen any reference to the above technique... does anybody here add their acid, bleach, baking soda, etc. doses in batches, or just add the entire dose slowly at once into the tub?

On a side note, is it best to dilute all chemicals before adding them to the tub?

Thank you.

ch,

For both my pool and spa I just add what I think I need based on my past experience.

If the water is fresh, I might shoot for 80% and test just to make sure that I don't overshoot my target.

Common sense applies. If I am making little adjustments, then I just dump it in, but if I'm making some major change, I'll do the 80% first.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Newdude
I dump it all in at once.

About the only things I don't do that with is CYA and Salt, because to reverse too much of those involves partial drain and fill.

The only thing I dilute prior to putting it in is Acid. I do add chemicals in front of an active return or jet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.