pH: 7.5
FC: 5.0
CC: 0.5
TC: 5.5
TA: 60
CYA: 35
CH: 125
Salt: 3140

According to pool math, I need to add 23lbs of Calcium to get to 250ppm. In pool school it says “add to deep end”. Is there a limit to how much you should add at one time or should I just dump 23 lbs into the deep end all at once? While the pumps are on or off?

splashpad

Bronze Supporter
Aug 2, 2017
SE Kansas!
Test Results:
pH: 7.5
FC: 5.0
CC: 0.5
TC: 5.5
TA: 60
CYA: 35
CH: 125
Salt: 3140

According to pool math, I need to add 23lbs of Calcium to get to 250ppm. In pool school it says “add to deep end”. Is there a limit to how much you should add at one time or should I just dump 23 lbs into the deep end all at once? While the pumps are on or off?
Welcome and great question (and thanks for posting the test results)
  • Suggestions
    • CYA is logarithmic, always round up to higher whole 10 = CYA/40
  • Any substantial chemical additions/changes should be broken down into stages
    • I would add the calcium in 2-3 separated doses so as not to overshoot
      • You can always add, but too much calcium = draining
  • "Calcium products should be spread across the surface of the deep end of the pool." The calcium should dissolve as long as it's not overly saturated
    • I think you can dissolve small amounts in 5gal bucket?

splashpad

Bronze Supporter
Aug 2, 2017
SE Kansas!
Be careful doing that. Dissolving calcium chloride in water is an exothermic reaction. It gets HOT!
I don't have to play with calcium (yay for vinyl!!), so I couldn't remember which one that was :D And Pool School does not have clear info on handling/adding calcium ;)

JaySav

Bronze Supporter
Mar 24, 2019
Memphis, TN
I did the 5lb at a time method in a bucket and stirred good with a piece of aluminum extrusion before pouring it in. It was fully dissolved when I poured it each time so I just did it back to back until I hit 23lbs. Thanks you guys, so basically just wait a few days and I should be able to get an accurate level check?

Reactions: Lagerman64