Adding Calcium hardness to High iron water

Jul 2, 2018
canterbury NH
Hi, First post here
Having issues with my Pool this year, 18' round intex pool with sand filter and salt chloronator. I have used the same set up for about 3 years with predictable issues that I normally can fix, but this year is different. I have a tremendous high amount of iron
in my well water which I fill my pool with. In years past I have added pool mate metal out in high quantities (3+ bottles ) during the first few days of filling the pool. Usually the pool (with no additives other than salt) slowly turns more yellow. Once I turn on the salt water chloronator it will cause a iron like plume over time which I then can filter out of my sand filter. Normally during backwashing I can see the nasty yellow water coming out of the salt water filter, feels like im getting it out, and eventually I do. But this year totally different. This year my pool is yellowish with a murky white dust like suspension that looks like it passes right through my filter. I know last year I ended up adding calcium hardness up after going to the pool store to test my water and that made it perfectly clear. THIS year however I feel when I added some chlorox brand calcium hardness up into it, it turned the pool cloudy. Now I cant seem to get anything clear. Even during backwashing all that comes out is a little cloudy water, not the usual yellow have iron like water. I don't have the tf100 tester that everyone raves about, I only have strips and have gone to the local pool store for a test. I don't have the number on hand but I know that my hardness still come in lower than average. I will try to post my strip numbers up (even though inaccurate) later today when I test again. But my questions are 1) Do you think this is a filter issue or water issue? 2)By me adding calcium to iron heavy water could that cause some over saturation of something that's clouding my pool?
Also, this is the second time this season I filled up the pool, the first time a similar thing happened but I ended up having a balanced pool (according to the pool store and my strips) and the water looked fairly clear, HOWEVER when I stepped into the pool , there was a super find powder in the bottom that would kick up and turn the whole pool cloudy in a matter of minutes. I tried vacuuming it from the bottom to waist with my intex pump but just by me moving the vacuum across the bottom just clouded the thing up again. I drained the whole thing and refilled it thinking it was just some fluke , but here I am again. please any advice would help. thanks

Re: Adding Calcium hardness to High iron water

I suggest you open up your sand filter and give it a good deep clean. If that doesn't work, replace the sand. I've come to learn that while the intex brand sand filter/pump/SWG combo are better than the crappy little intex white paper filters, that right around 3 seasons the owners are experiencing very similar (if not identical) problems you described, especially with water that is high in iron and calcium. I think the sand filter portion may be a bit too undersized for the pump. I've seen channeling of the sand and rock hard sand that is gouped up like I've never seen...

I have actually just replaced all the sand and backwashed it before I refilled the pool. I checked the unit for cracks on the laterals, gaskets , etc everything seems ok. Can these sand filters just not work after awhile?

I have actually just replaced all the sand and backwashed it before I refilled the pool. I checked the unit for cracks on the laterals, gaskets , etc everything seems ok. Can these sand filters just not work after awhile?

Changing the sand should have worked. Not sure about your calcium question, but why did you add it?

Confused....So I have a very high iron well water source that I use to fill the pool, and have been trying to use metal out to get the iron out of the pool
I was told by the pool store that my hardness was low, therefore I added some hardness up to the pool. However, ive now have this white cloudy pool. It seems
that most cloudy pool cases are from dead algea etc. but my pool water is 3 days old and im having this issue. I always thought of my well water as being very
hard to begin with, yet it tests as having low calcium hardness, by added calcium did I create some super saturated hard water? The sediment is so fine it seems to go right
through my intex sand filter. I would call it almost pearl white dust. any advice would help. thanks

I moved the posts to an existing thread with the same subject. Mod. Marty

Last edited by a moderator:

ive added in years before because my water always tests low in hardness (even though to me its very hard irony water). I had the water tested at a pool store and with my home strips this time...both of which said it was low on hardness.

Adding calcium can sometimes make the water cloudy until it dissipates. I'd give it a day or two and report back. Hopefully it will settle soon enough and you'll never know the difference.

thanks for the response......Will it precipitate out to the bottom of the pool? Should I turn the filter off for it to do that? I feel like with the filter on it just keeps agitating the water and keeping everything suspended.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Intex pool. No need to add calcium product.

There is absolutely no reason to add calcium to a vinyl pool. The pool store strikes again!

So the only thing in the pool so far was the salt, Phoenix Super Erace (for the iron), and then about 2 days later I added the calcium hardness increase (Chlorox brand). There is a salt water chloronator as well which is on.

- - - Updated - - -

There is absolutely no reason to add calcium to a vinyl pool. The pool store strikes again!

So do you think that's what causing the cloudy mess? and if so , how do I get it out?

Do you have a complete set of test results?

Only way to remove calcium is to drain the pool and refill with water with lower CH.

What size pool is this? Any chance you can add a signature? Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Order a TF100 test kit
The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006-C. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

I also have the SpeedStir. It makes testing much easier.

What is low? If your pH and TA are elevated and you add calcium chloride to the water it will cloud up. For how long depends on lots of factors.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.