East Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I was searching around and saw a few threads relating to this, but some were never fully answered. I have a brand new pool that will be going to salt in 29 days. I had clean water trucked in to fill the pool and spa. My fill line for the auto-leveler for the pool comes from my city water connection, which unfortunately out here in the country is also well water. The water hardness (iron) is not very noticeable until you get a decent amount of it in one place, then you can see the brownish tinge. I am in the process of getting a dual tank water softener system to go in between my city water and my pool system. This should solve my iron and hardness issue, but will create another issue, a lack of calcium.

Can users of this type of system in hard water environments chime in here and talk to me about what your experiences have been (both good and bad)? Spring startup costs, season costs, what brands have you found to work best (I've seen a lot of discussions on here about brands and purity, which seem to not be what people thought they were getting), etc. Any information you have to help me in this area would be greatly appreciated. I have already had some private conversations about this that have been very helpful, just wanted to open it up in a post and see if anyone else had some useful info to contribute. Here is the system we think we will likely be getting: The Kinetico 2060S. Thanks!

Kin2060.JPG

I wouldn't worry about the softener removing calcium. That is its primary job. Once in the pool water, calcium only leaves through water exchange (draining/splash out/rain overflow). Without the softener, each time you topped off your water it would add more calcium. You can always add calcium in the future if you fall below minimum levels. You shouldn't need to do that often.

I can't comment on the specific softener that you referenced, but according to the manufacturer it does remove iron. @JoyfulNoise has extensive knowledge in the area of water softeners and may be able to comment.

Reactions: jesse-99 and LSU
I was searching around and saw a few threads relating to this, but some were never fully answered. I have a brand new pool that will be going to salt in 29 days. I had clean water trucked in to fill the pool and spa. My fill line for the auto-leveler for the pool comes from my city water connection, which unfortunately out here in the country is also well water. The water hardness (iron) is not very noticeable until you get a decent amount of it in one place, then you can see the brownish tinge. I am in the process of getting a dual tank water softener system to go in between my city water and my pool system. This should solve my iron and hardness issue, but will create another issue, a lack of calcium.

Can users of this type of system in hard water environments chime in here and talk to me about what your experiences have been (both good and bad)? Spring startup costs, season costs, what brands have you found to work best (I've seen a lot of discussions on here about brands and purity, which seem to not be what people thought they were getting), etc. Any information you have to help me in this area would be greatly appreciated. I have already had some private conversations about this that have been very helpful, just wanted to open it up in a post and see if anyone else had some useful info to contribute. Here is the system we think we will likely be getting: The Kinetico 2060S. Thanks!

View attachment 516104
Hi there !

I am looking into this as well. What fouling thin about this systems?

Attachments

• IMG_9218.png
    IMG_9218.png
    82 KB · Views: 1
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.