Gold Supporter
Jun 4, 2014
Fawn Grove, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have some bags of shock from the pool company. I figured it can’t hurt to use them. I don’t want to sprinkle in front of the return and then have to frantically sweep if they reach the bottom. Can I dissolve them in a skimmer sock? I’ve only ever use liquid chlorine… except my first summer with a pool when I was chronically pool stored.

Thanks in advance.

The high concentration of chlorine might not be great for your equipment -- TFP recommends against placing trichlor pucks in the skimmer for that reason, and your cal-hypo granules will raise the chlorine concentration a lot higher than pucks would. And pushing such a high concentration of chlorine past the organic matter trapped in your filter is likely to produce lots of chloramines.

Why not just store the cal-hypo somewhere, as insurance against temporarily running out of liquid chlorine? If it's someplace dry and where it can't get in contact with your other chemicals, it'll last basically forever.

Reactions: LaurenB
Ok I’ll just do that, thanks for responding! I love all things pool maintenance with the exception of a rush rush sweep job while praying the liner doesn’t bleach.