Adding bleach and stabilizer question

Kmshera

Jul 1, 2019
Portland, Oregon
Hi all. First time poster, new pool owner. Bought an above ground pool this year. I wanted to follow everything I'd read on this site regarding water chemistry, significant other wanted me to follow pool store recommendations. Compromise was to do pool store recommendations initially, then I could do as I pleased afterward.

So, I ended up shocking the pool with dichlor during the initial chemical additions. I got pH and alkalinity where I want them (7.5 and 90) and have been testing daily, waiting for the FC to fall to where I need to add bleach. I've been testing for CYA also, expecting it to rise as the chlorine from the dichlor is used up, but it's always tested as non-existent. My FC tested at 2.5 today, so I will need to start adding chlorine and CYA soon.

My question is this: when I start adding bleach and CYA, do I need to somehow account for the fact that there is still some FC from the dichlor?

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Welcome to the forum!
Can you provide us more information by filling out your signature? Are you following the Seasonal pool protocol? How are you testing your water chemistry?
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

The FC from the dichlor won't last too long (that's why you have to keep adding FC, and we recommend bleach) but the CYA from the dichlor should be accounted for, yes. How much dichlor was added?

The Pool Math website (link at the bottom) says that in a 4545gal pool, 1 lb of dichlor will add 13 ppm CYA. To get to 30, you want to add another 10oz of CYA. :) If the only CYA added was in the 1lb of dichlor, I'd recommend that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.