Adding Automation, Actuators, EasyTouch, SWG at same time? Doable as DIY?

Ejosh87

May 11, 2019
Florida
I'm thinking of upgrading my pool system but most likely only if I can do it myself since will be way too expensive otherwise. Do you think adding a system like the below is feasible for someone who isn't extremely handy but can learn as they go:

Pentair EasyTouch | Pool and Spa System | IC40 IntelliChlor System | Filter + 7 Circuits (probably don't need 7 Circuits)

That was just one system I stumbled upon so I will definitely do more research but just want to see if even worthwhile to consider or if too complex. I currently have a Pentair Superflo VS and a Jandy Lite2 (propane heater but old around 2005, was here when we moved in already).

I just took over doing the pool myself and enjoying it so would be great to upgrade the system but don't want to get overzealous haha. Things like PVC, cutting, wiring, I'm confident I can figure out, especially with YouTube videos and such, but do you think this would involve more complicated aspects? Also, would the Jandy Lite2 be able to connect into this or is that too old/incompatible?

My setup looks like the attached pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0244.JPG
    IMG_0244.JPG
    739 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0245.JPG
    IMG_0245.JPG
    672.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0247.JPG
    IMG_0247.JPG
    665.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0248.JPG
    IMG_0248.JPG
    583.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0249.JPG
    IMG_0249.JPG
    643.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0250.JPG
    IMG_0250.JPG
    471.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0251.JPG
    IMG_0251.JPG
    629.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0252.JPG
    IMG_0252.JPG
    557.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0253.JPG
    IMG_0253.JPG
    460.9 KB · Views: 25

I installed single body (no spa) systems, with IC40's and IntelliFlo pumps at two rent houses myself and it was a pretty easy DIY job..

Unfortunately, the SuperFlo VS is not easily controllable by the ET.. The ET is made to control the IntelliFlo which uses a serial communications bus that the SuperFlo VS does not have..

If this were my pool, the first thing I would upgrade would be the filter... I just do not understand why the majority of pools in Florida have "miniature" filters.. The bigger the filter the less often you need to clean it.. I can go a full year with only one cleaning and like you, my pool is open all year.

The ET is not really any fun unless you have ScreenLogic which is another $400. ScreenLogic lets you program and control things with your PC, tablet or phone.. If I was building a new pool I would be looking at the new IntelliCenter which includes a remote control system similar to ScreenLogic.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I installed single body (no spa) systems, with IC40's and IntelliFlo pumps at two rent houses myself and it was a pretty easy DIY job..

Unfortunately, the SuperFlo VS is not easily controllable by the ET.. The ET is made to control the IntelliFlo which uses a serial communications bus that the SuperFlo VS does not have..

If this were my pool, the first thing I would upgrade would be the filter... I just do not understand why the majority of pools in Florida have "miniature" filters.. The bigger the filter the less often you need to clean it.. I can go a full year with only one cleaning and like you, my pool is open all year.

The ET is not really any fun unless you have ScreenLogic which is another $400. ScreenLogic lets you program and control things with your PC, tablet or phone.. If I was building a new pool I would be looking at the new IntelliCenter which includes a remote control system similar to ScreenLogic.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks for the pointers. I’m kicking myself for getting the Superflo last year instead of Intelliflo. Wonder what options I have, if any regarding integrating that. Seems there are roundabout ways to make it work, at least for 1-2 speeds.

Also regarding the filter, what would you recommend? I’m assuming that would be fairly simple to switch. Just need to make sure enough room to fit it.

May be smarter to focus on doing the larger filter and SWG first, just don’t want to do anything that makes it harder to upgrade later if using incompatible pieces.

Last edited:
Josh,

The SuperFlo can be controlled by 4 switches or relays that can select 4 speeds that you preset inside the pump's control panel.. These relays can be inside an automation system, like an EasyTouch, or if you are into home automation, I'm sure you could build a simple relay control system.

As far as filter size, the bigger the better.. How often do you have to clean your filter now? I was assuming you have to clean it every few months, but if that is not true, than it may not be a problem after all..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Ejosh87
Josh,

The SuperFlo can be controlled by 4 switches or relays that can select 4 speeds that you preset inside the pump's control panel.. These relays can be inside an automation system, like an EasyTouch, or if you are into home automation, I'm sure you could build a simple relay control system.

As far as filter size, the bigger the better.. How often do you have to clean your filter now? I was assuming you have to clean it every few months, but if that is not true, than it may not be a problem after all..

Thanks,

Jim R.
I’ve just taken over doing the pool work myself so I’m not entirely sure but assuming not too bad since pool is covered by screen enclosure.

What are your expectations for automation? Since you have a pool/spa combo is automating valves (with actuators) and heater (via the firemans switch) desired? If you have a limited budget then the Intermatic MultiWave might be an option. The PE25065RC at $650 would allow you to do this and also control your lights and blower. The CheckFrank website configurator gives you the options and wiring diagrams.

What are your expectations for automation? Since you have a pool/spa combo is automating valves (with actuators) and heater (via the firemans switch) desired? If you have a limited budget then the Intermatic MultiWave might be an option. The PE25065RC at $650 would allow you to do this and also control your lights and blower. The CheckFrank website configurator gives you the options and wiring diagrams.
Hmmmm. This is very interesting. I have to research this. I guess it depends also how much the IntelliCenter with IC40 bundle costs so can get real comparison cost wise.

The tricky part is since I want to add SWG, trying to decide best way to do it since many Pentair bundles with it so may be more cost effective that way. Instead of doing separately with power center then upgrading again later to IntelliCenter or something like that. But IntelliCenter may be overkill for my setup since not that much to it.

Last edited:
I installed all of my equipment and automation myself. I went with Jandy for everything. It sounds like you are capable of doing the same. It can be frustrating because the pool industry is one of the last "good old boy" groups that try to discourage DIY stuff. My wife and I did our own remodel including plaster chip out, gunite repair, flagstone coping, plumbing, electrical, etc. The only thing I had professionally done was the plaster. There is very little info out there on how many of these things are done when comparing it to homebuilding and remodelling. After doing the research I was suprised to find so many "experts" really don't do things the right way.

I know it will cost more upfront, but I suggest you upgrade everything at the same time.. The process will go much smoother.

I would always recommend buying the Pentair bundle packages.. This way the Cell's power supply and transformer is inside the main unit. You just plug the cell in the bottom of the cabinet..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I know it will cost more upfront, but I suggest you upgrade everything at the same time.. The process will go much smoother.

I would always recommend buying the Pentair bundle packages.. This way the Cell's power supply and transformer is inside the main unit. You just plug the cell in the bottom of the cabinet..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Perfect was thinking the same, do you know roughly how much these types of Intellicenter bundles are with IC40?

Doesn't seem too hard if I can just remove the current subpanel breaker box and replace with this one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What size is your current subpanel and can you take a pic of it? The hardest part is getting power and bonding run correctly to it from there it's pretty easy. It's one of those things that has to be done right theres only one way

I saw your pics I mean the inside of it to see breaker feed size etc

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.