GA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
More Jandy questions for the experts. Got my upgrade complete from PDA to RS, that was money well spent, so much more functionality and ease of programming. :)

I currently have a single JVA and would like to add another so 2 total. How do I connect the new JVA to the AquaLink panel so I can have control over the new JVA? Right now I have my existing JVA plugged into Solar and assigned as Extra Aux. I have Aux 4 and Aux 5 free right now, but those are 2 pin 24v-DC connections and I need a 3 pin 24v-AC for the second JVA.

Intake and Return are reporting "USED" even though nothing is connected to these, could be because I have a RS pool & spa CPU even though I only have a pool but unsure.

IA-JVA.PNG

If you are not using a cleaner pump connected to Aux1 then you can...

- connect the waterfall JVA actuator to the CLEANER socket - put dip switch 1 ON that enables the cleaner function - if you have something connected to AUX1 you need to move it to another AUX relay as AUX1 becomes the cleaner - you will find AUX1 is labeled CLEANER and I believe you can rename it to WATERFALL

When you select AUX1 the JVA should turn and enable your waterfall.

If you are not using a cleaner pump connected to Aux1 then you can...
My cleaner booster pump is on Aux 1 and I have the dip switch set as such.

Any other options? I can’t be the only person with Jandy equipment that wants multiple JVAs — at least I don’t think I am. 😂

Good job on the RS upgrade! And yes the aux ports are hard coded.
All the thanks to you and ajw22 for the help with the upgrade.

Assume you mean the Intake and Return ports are hard coded? I.e. why they show used.

Aqualink is not very expandable for more actuators.

Or you can control an actuator using a high voltage AUX relay using this circuit. Aux relays use two wires - 24 VDC and ground. Valve actuators use three wires - two 24 VAC lines and ground. AC on one line will turn the valve one way and AC on the other line will turn the valve the other way.

You could use the Aux relay to control the 24 VAC so that it will turn the valve using the following circuit. But normal Aux relays won't work as they do not have any Normally Closed contacts. You need a relay that has NC and NO contacts.

Actuator_control_circuit.jpg

Aqualink is not very expandable for more actuators.

Or you can control an actuator using a high voltage AUX relay using this circuit. Aux relays use two wires - 24 VDC and ground. Valve actuators use three wires - two 24 VAC lines and ground. AC on one line will turn the valve one way and AC on the other line will turn the valve the other way.

You could use the Aux relay to control the 24 VAC so that it will turn the valve using the following circuit. But normal Aux relays won't work as they do not have any Normally Closed contacts. You need a relay that has NC and NO contacts.
Thanks. Looks like Jandy makes such a device for this situation, 5254 Aux Relay board (Installation guide).

Seems if you have a single body of water CPU you can assign the Intake and Return to an AUX button as well, so highly dependent on each users particular setup if you need relay boards; either DIY as described above or purchase the 5254.

Thanks for pointing out the aux relay board.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Will do, its on my list of "Spring things to do". :) Maybe worth adding the JVA Aux Relay Board information to the further reading topic?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks. Looks like Jandy makes such a device for this situation, 5254 Aux Relay board (Installation guide).

Seems if you have a single body of water CPU you can assign the Intake and Return to an AUX button as well, so highly dependent on each users particular setup if you need relay boards; either DIY as described above or purchase the 5254.

It looks like that relay board is just a relay that sends 24volts to the JVA when the aux is activated just like it would for a regular 110/220 volt relay (in the lower 1/2 of the Jandy load center).

Have you thought about a SmartJVA board for the waterfall? Jandy Smart JVA Assembly

It looks like that relay board is just a relay that sends 24volts to the JVA when the aux is activated just like it would for a regular 110/220 volt relay (in the lower 1/2 of the Jandy load center).

Have you thought about a SmartJVA board for the waterfall? Jandy Smart JVA Assembly

I was/am looking at the Smart JVA but don't know if I need this since my 2 JVAs will be cammed for my use/purposes. I like you can control them in 5% increments with the Smart JVA but don't know if I would use that feature enough to make it worth it UNLESS the Smart JVA also has a relay similar to the 5254? I can not seem to find the installation manual for the Smart JVA to verify. If it's a combo type board with both fine control of a JVA and relay that would work perfect.

I was/am looking at the Smart JVA but don't know if I need this since my 2 JVAs will be cammed for my use/purposes. I like you can control them in 5% increments with the Smart JVA but don't know if I would use that feature enough to make it worth it UNLESS the Smart JVA also has a relay similar to the 5254? I can not seem to find the installation manual for the Smart JVA to verify. If it's a combo type board with both fine control of a JVA and relay that would work perfect.
Let me know if you have problems reading these.

nuther.jpg20220322_095521.jpg20220322_095524.jpg20220322_095536.jpg20220322_095539 (1).jpg

Very interesting, looks like Page 7 and Page 9 confirms the Smart JVA indeed has a relay since you need to supply power to the Smart JVA from the power center 24 volt wiring, just like the Aux Relay board and it has the same connection back to an open AUX port for control/assignment from what I can tell. Hmmm, thanks!

Edit: Found the Smart JVA installation guide and uploaded it here.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: PoolGate
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.