Adding Actuators to Waterfalls and Fountain

Romeo345

Jun 27, 2022
Dallas/TX
Hi all!

I hope this is the right place to post this since I've been lurking for a while as my very first pool I've owned and operated has just completed construction.

Not knowing what I didn't know, I never asked the builder to consider adding automation to my waterfall and fountain during the design and build phase of the project. Now that we've just been through pool school, I have so many questions about what extra automation capabilities I could add to my system. Last night I spent a ton of time researching and I have some questions about what's possible given what I have.

Ultimately my main goal is to add actuators that I can control for my waterfall(s) and fountain from the jandy app.

I've researched a bunch of different parts from the 5254 Relay Board to the SmartJVA and am now concerned I may need to upgrade from the RS4 that I have. I'm not quite sure what's attached to all my relays but they look all full. I have a SPA, SWG, lights (they switch on the SPA and pool at the same time), and not sure what else might be connected to the relays.

I'm not really sure what the best way to do what I'm looking for and I appreciate any guidance!

Attachments

• IMG_2663.png
    IMG_2663.png
    174.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2664.png
    IMG_2664.png
    172.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2665.png
    IMG_2665.png
    160.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2666.png
    IMG_2666.png
    229.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2667.png
    IMG_2667.png
    233 KB · Views: 12
Diveter actuators do not use relays but you need AUX buttons available to assign them to for control.

Do you havr IAqualink?

Post pic of your iAqualink ASSIGN JVA page.

@PoolGate can help. He wrote…

Thanks ajw22!

I do have iAqualink...it's an experience getting to know it and figure out what it's doing and how to navigate it. I didn't see anything labeled valves so I grabbed a few screenshots, hopefully those fit the bill for what you're looking for.

Attachments

• IMG_2668.png
    IMG_2668.png
    27 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2669.png
    IMG_2669.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2670.png
    IMG_2670.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 8
Do you actually have a SmartJVA controller? I cannot see one in your box. They typically would be installed on the far left edge. The below shows mine it is the lower board of the two shown.

The JVA that you want to control via the SmartJVA needs to physically run through the SmartJVA board.

You can control 4 devices it looks like you only have 3. So I think you should be able to add another controller. I don't see your Aux1 port though.

1673458348650.png

Thanks @PoolGate! I don't have a SmartJVA. I'm just getting started learning about Aqualink and in general this whole owning a pool thing. I appreciate the help!

I believe in Aux 1 is my cleaner/booster pump, Aux 2 seems to be my blower for the spa, and Aux 3 is my lights for the pool. I verified this by putting it into service mode and pressing each button. I also checked via an api request since I was playing around last night.

Does this mean I could wire up the JVAs in parallel to the single Aux 4 port? I would need two to control the water feature as I have 2 sheer descents, I'd always be looking to turn them on at the same time.

{
"message": "",
"devices_screen": [
{
"status": "Online"
},
{
"response": "AQU='72','4|1|2|3|32|0|1|0|0|Cleaner|0|1|0|0|Air Blower|0|7|2|4|Light|0|1|0|0|Extra Aux'"
},
{
"group": "1"
},
{
"aux_1": [
{
"state": "0"
},
{
"label": "Cleaner"
},
{
"icon": "aux_1_0.png"
},
{
"type": "0"
},
{
"subtype": "0"
}
]
},
{
"aux_2": [
{
},
{
"label": "Air Blower"
},
{
},
{
},
{
}
]
},
{
"aux_3": [
{
},
{
"label": "Light"
},
{
"icon": "aux_7_0.png"
},
{
"type": "2"
},
{
"subtype": "4"
}
]
},
{
"aux_EA": [
{
},
{
"label": "Extra Aux"
},
{
},
{
},
{
}
]
}
],
"icl_info_list": []
}

Thanks @PoolGate! I don't have a SmartJVA. I'm just getting started learning about Aqualink and in general this whole owning a pool thing. I appreciate the help!

I believe in Aux 1 is my cleaner/booster pump, Aux 2 seems to be my blower for the spa, and Aux 3 is my lights for the pool. I verified this by putting it into service mode and pressing each button. I also checked via an api request since I was playing around last night.

Does this mean I could wire up the JVAs in parallel to the single Aux 4 port? I would need two to control the water feature as I have 2 sheer descents, I'd always be looking to turn them on at the same time.

No. A PS4 has Aux1, Aux2, Aux3 and ExtraAux. There is no Aux4. You can use your ExtraAux though if it is not connected to anything else.

Gotcha. If I read some of the material correctly on some of your other posts and the manual I would hook into the SOLAR port and fiddle with the labels.

How would I go about wiring the two JVAs in parallel for the sheer descents to the single SOLAR aux port or is that even possible?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.