Damascus, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I found some more information on this. This is configurable using the OneTouch controller OR through the iAqualink interface.

The reason I think I could not get it working is because it is saying it works on Rev T or newer. I think I am on Rev R. So anyone looking to get variable position valves on your Jandy system need a fairly new board to do it. The SmartJVA controller is easy to install yourself and the iAqualink has the interface for it. It is just a matter of having a late enough board that has the functionality.

Here is documentation. -> Zodiac_2019ProductCatalog no prices

Last edited:
Success! The SmartJVA add-on board will allow Aqualink owners to be able to real-time set the amount their automated valves (JVAs) are open from 0-100% in 5% increments. It requires Rev R or newer. I am on version T.2.

Here is a link to where I got the SmartJVA board from. It was the best price I could find. Jandy Smart JVA Assembly
Here are instructions for the SmartJVA board. They are not entirely correct. https://premium.zodiacpoolsystems.com/~/media/2ebd5560e8c542b3a7e51b199d867445.pdf

I am now able to control my JVA's in 5% increments! Furthermore, I don't believe you need the OneTouch controller to get this working. The instructions from Jandy are not correct or more likely simply outdated.

The first picture below shows where the AUX ports are assigned to a JVA. On a running and working system, this is already working properly and does not need to be set/reset. This is what I thought I needed the OneTouch controller for but was incorrect. The OneTouch is not needed for this step. What the instructions do not tell you is that the aux port is ALREADY connected to an electrical relay. This relay connection is not necessary since the JVAs do not require a relay to work. You need to disconnect the relay connection if you have it (it is possible not all systems are wired with relays) (I just left it hanging) and connect the SmartJVA interface 2-wire connection into this relay slot. The SmartJVA comes with a pre-attached connector that fits the aux plug. No splicing of any wires are necessary to get the SmartJVA board installed and working. It is entirely plug and play!

The second picture shows where the JVA is told it has a SmartJVA board attached to it. Since the aux port for the JVA you want to add SmartJVA functionality plugs directly into the SmartJVA board, when that JVA is activated, the board receives the signal from the aux port.

Once you attach the SmartJVA board to the JVA, it has a new menu when you access it, which is the third picture below. When you press it, it turns the JVA on to where it is preset to percentage-wise, but also gives you "decrease, increase, or save" options. Saving sets where it will default the next time you turn it on.

Everything you need to do is plug and play. You do need to open up your Aqualink panel to install the board. The power connector for the SmartJVA is just long enough to fit but I had no real issues with it. The entire process of adding the SmartJVA can be done in 15 minutes or so.

As an aside, the OneTouch controller is able to set the percent you want the JVA. However, when you turn on the device that is using the JVA in the OneTouch menu, unlike what happens with the computer or phone interface, you do not get an alternate menu to real-time select the percent you want. So if using just the OneTouch controller, you would have to go into the setup again to change the percent where you want it. I doubt I would ever use the OneTouch so this doesn't matter to me. But it is also not able to be set real-time with the PDA controller.

jva1.jpg
jva2.jpg
jva3.jpg

Glad you got this working PoolGate. Did you actually purchase a OneTouch too? Or just the Rev T.2 control board? (I have both OneTouch and T, but no good application for a SmartJVA.) You may want to add SmartJVA in your signature equipment list since it is unique.

I couldn't find that you addressed this question, but just to confirm, with the SmartJVA installed, there are still only 2 programmed stop points for the JVA at one time, is that right? I know some users have posited that they might be able to use the SmartJVA to have 3 programmed stop points at one time. It would be great to have a final answer on that.

Glad you got this working PoolGate. Did you actually purchase a OneTouch too? Or just the Rev T.2 control board? (I have both OneTouch and T, but no good application for a SmartJVA.) You may want to add SmartJVA in your signature equipment list since it is unique.

I couldn't find that you addressed this question, but just to confirm, with the SmartJVA installed, there are still only 2 programmed stop points for the JVA at one time, is that right? I know some users have posited that they might be able to use the SmartJVA to have 3 programmed stop points at one time. It would be great to have a final answer on that.

I purchased a used OneTouch but did not need it. I had already a rev T.2 board. I had set my JVA stops to only do a 90 degree arc total before I added the SmartJVA controller. I reset the stops after adding the SmartJVA to do a full 180 degree arc and control the amount of flow using percent. There are still only 2 programmed stop points, "off" which is 0%, and on which is the percent you last saved. But in addition, you can real-time set the percent up or down in 5% increments from whatever controller you are using. With the smartphone it is true real-time and with the OneTouch and PDA you have to go to the SmartJVA setup to set.

Thanks for confirming.

So, the Requirements to set up SmartJVA are:
1) OneTouch controller
or
2) iAqualink with Rev T or higher

Advantages of SmartJVA are:
1) No need to open the Jandy Valve Actuator to adjust cams for intermediate or partially open stop points, such as 50 degrees (off-the-shelf actuator setpoints are 0 degrees and 180 degrees).
2)* SmartJVA gives you on-the-fly or LIVE adjustment of one of the Stop points of the JVA. So, you can respond to "hey, can you turn down the waterfall flow?" without leaving your seat.

Without SmartJVA, you could only do a live adjustment by going to the equipment and using the toggle underneath the JVA to move the valve position. In addition to having to leave your seat, you then have to leave that toggle in the neutral position to maintain the desired flow. But one big downside is that the actuator then won't respond to automation commands until you remember to flip it out of neutral.

* The asterisk on the 2nd advantage is that the truly live adjustment can only be done from iAqualink interface.

What you cannot do with SmartJVA is program 3 settings. So for example, a water feature with SmartJVA will not allow you to program OFF, LOW, and HIGH valve settings all at once.

Please correct if I got anything wrong.

Thanks for confirming.

So, the Requirements to set up SmartJVA are:
1) OneTouch controller
or
2) iAqualink with Rev T or higher

Advantages of SmartJVA are:
1) No need to open the Jandy Valve Actuator to adjust cams for intermediate or partially open stop points, such as 50 degrees (off-the-shelf actuator setpoints are 0 degrees and 180 degrees).
2)* SmartJVA gives you on-the-fly or LIVE adjustment of one of the Stop points of the JVA. So, you can respond to "hey, can you turn down the waterfall flow?" without leaving your seat.

Without SmartJVA, you could only do a live adjustment by going to the equipment and using the toggle underneath the JVA to move the valve position. In addition to having to leave your seat, you then have to leave that toggle in the neutral position to maintain the desired flow. But one big downside is that the actuator then won't respond to automation commands until you remember to flip it out of neutral.

* The asterisk on the 2nd advantage is that the truly live adjustment can only be done from iAqualink interface.

What you cannot do with SmartJVA is program 3 settings. So for example, a water feature with SmartJVA will not allow you to program OFF, LOW, and HIGH valve settings all at once.

Please correct if I got anything wrong.

I believe correct on all count accept this may work with Rev R. I tried to create a macro/OneTouch but it would not allow me to select a percent when I selected the device connected to the SmartJVA. This is purely programming so Jandy could easily program this ability in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.