Adding acid daily

chriscard25

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 23, 2010
Well hello again all!

It has been many years since I have posted on this site. That is a compliment, as the help on this board resulted in many years of a trouble free pool. In 2010 I purchased a brand new 24” Doughboy and had that pool sparkling for 10 years. And then I moved across country…

To a great home with an in-ground plaster pool. I figured I was a pro at this point. Overconfidence has been my downfall.

I had the pool resurfaced and that was completed 1st week in July. Had a few issues with the pool company that resurfaced, but after about 30 days thought we were in a good place. For the last two weeks I have been adding acid (about a pint) daily. I have been through the process of knocking down the TA, but it persists. This week I set the PH at 7.6 daily, and the next day the color on the testing block is darker than 8.2. I do have a spillway that is always on (plumbed that way, do not get me started), as well as a SWG – so I understand there will be PH drift – but daily?

Latest Numbers:

CH 6

PH 8.2+

ALK 60

CH 475

CYA 70

Salt 4100

I have read that newly plastered pools take a while to settle, but am I missing something? As of now I can’t leave my house for more than a day without asking for help. I appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you!

Chris

Do you use an auto fill device or manually top off? Test the water that you use when topping off to compare against your pool water TA and CH. We are looking for everything that may be driving up your pH besides the new plaster and the spillway you mentioned.

OK -- normally one uses actuated valves to select between pool and spa mode if they have automation. They can then use Spillover/Spillway to program needed circulation through the spa each day.

Reactions: chriscard25
Do you use an auto fill device or manually top off? Test the water that you use when topping off to compare against your pool water TA and CH. We are looking for everything that may be driving up your pH besides the new plaster and the spillway you mentioned.
Pool Water

ALK 60

CH 475

Fill Water

ALK 160

CH 0

Adding an inch a week at most.

Thank you

Your fill water TA is similar to mine and will drive your pH up when evaporation is high. My pool is nearly double yours in volume and a 17'X37' rectangle. I too add an inch a week average and calculated that it would raise my pool water TA 5+ppm each week in summer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.