Adding a programmable timer to my pool light

Jul 9, 2010
Woodway, TX
So I am trying to add a timer to my pool light. Previously I just had to go and flip the breaker (yes breaker) to turn on my pool lights. My question is I would like to add a digital timer that has basically buttons to program it to come on at a certain time everyday for a few hours but also has an on-off button. Something like this https://www.amazon.com/myTouchSmart...mer+for+outdoor+lights&qid=1626970044&sr=8-12. I realize it will all run through a GCFI first, does anyone have anything like this or should I just use a light switch and a GCFI? My backyard is really dark at night and I just really like the possibility of having the lights come on for a a few hours at dusk and the ability to turn them on and off also when I want. I don't really like a lit up backyard all the time.

Have you considered a WiFi switch. You could program it to turn on/off at sunset/sunrise or set any timed programs you want. You would have control via smart phone, Alexa, Google Home etc. Lots of options. Wiring would be the same as the digital switch in your link.

Please consider that a pool light is much more expensive and difficult to change. Why would you not just run a spot light positioned on your house or garage and connected to the breaker box. You still need an electrician to run the wires to install your switch so it may be much simpler over time to have a spot light.

That being said, I still like the idea to put a proper switch on your pool light rather than going to the main breaker box to operate it.

I like the idea of a wifi switch. I hadn't thought of that. 15 years ago I was an electricians apprentice, did that for 18 months but couldn't stand the traveling, and a better opportunity came up. Ive wired my own house before so I know how to do it. I was just wondering if anyone had used a similar type of switch and had a good experience. The reason I am adding I receiving a shock while it was raining the other day. No big deal for me but decided I didn't want one of the kids or wife getting hit.

I've used a few different brands of smart switches and bulbs. I like Kasa TP-Link products the best. I have at least 20 different switches and bulbs installed in and around the house. I have one installed at least 150' from the house and another installed outside in a metal load center. None have ever lost connection. They continue to work via LAN if you happen to lose your internet connection. The app is user-friendly and intuitive and they integrate well with Alexa and Google Home. They've been around awhile and are easy to find on Amazon.

The reason I am adding I receiving a shock while it was raining the other day. No big deal for me but decided I didn't want one of the kids or wife getting hit.
Was the shock due to you being wet and touching the breaker? Or is there another issue with the wiring? Just want to ensure you are safe and best to have your pool light go through a GFCI switch or breaker as you indicated you would do.
Good Luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.