Added 900 pounds of salt, SWG still showing 0

Oct 18, 2016
Long Valley, NJ
Last week, I installed a Crystal Pure SWG (model #PL7703) for my 30K gallon pool. Finally got around to adding the salt today (was sanitizing with bleach) and am starting to dissolve the CYA. I added 900 pounds of salt and swept it until completely dissolved.

12 hours later, the SWG's instant salinity readout is still showing 0 salinity.

The default screen for the digital readout had been showing an up arrow and the number 3400. To be clear, according to the instructions, this is NOT the instant salinity readout. Believe it or not, the instructions don't have any information about what this default screen is. I interpreted this to mean I need to add (up arrow) 3400 ppm of salt (which is Crystal Pure's recommended level).

Interestingly, after adding the salt, this screen changed from 3400 to 0000 (up arrow still there).

So, whether I'm right or wrong about this default screen, the SWG does seem to know something changed. My question is, why isn't the instant salinity readout showing anything?

Thanks.

Be sure you have circulated the pool water for 24 hours and brushed vigorously the deep end to get the salt laden water distributed. Then turn on your SWCG.

You should never do anything by only looking at the salt reported by the cell... It is almost always best to know the actual salt level in the pool so you can compare that to the salt level reported by the cell. The best way to find the actual salt level is with the Taylor K-1766 salt test kit.

Thanks,

Jim R.

The default display is the average salinity reading, which is the running average of the last few instant salinity readings.

The system has a cycle time of 180 minutes. The cell generates for the percentage of time based on the percentage setting.

For example at 50%, the cell generates for 90 minutes and is off for 90 minutes.

During the off part of the cycle, the amps and instant salinity will both read 0.

The "Generating" light will be on any time that the switch is in the auto position, even during the off part of the cycle, which can be confusing.

To update the average salinity to match the instant salinity, go to instant salinity and move the switch from auto to superchlorinate and back to auto.

Here is the information from the manual.

Diagnostic Displays Sequential pushes of the small "diagnostic" button next to the LCD display will cause the display the following information:
1. Pool temperature (xx degrees Fahrenheit or Celsius)
2. Cell voltage (typically 21.0 to 27.0 volts when chlorine is being generated, otherwise 16-25V)
3. Cell current (typically 2.50 to 7.80 amps when chlorine is being generated, otherwise 0 amps)
4. Desired Output % ("0P" -- "100P" depending on knob position or input from remote pool automation controller)
5. Instant salinity ( -xxxx ppm or -x.xx grams/Liter)
6. Product name sent to the pool automation control display
7. Software revision level
8. Cell type. On the 8th push of the button the display will revert back to the default salt display. Also, if the button is not pushed for 30 seconds, the display will revert back too.

Last edited:
Make sure when ever you add salt to the pool that your SWG is *off* for the day while the salt is dissolving and mixing into the water.

Also never assume your salt level in the pool is zero before adding salt. Every chemical you've added over time has left some residual salt behind. So you may have already had a significant portion of your needs before even adding that salt for the SWG.

Get the K-1766 test kit for salt. Best test for salt ever!

Maddie :flower:

Thanks, everyone. I ordered the K-1766 test last night. I had ordered a digital meter, but didn't realize it's primarily for seawater and doesn't have sufficient resolution for pool water.

@JamesW - Thanks for those details. Most of what you typed isn't in the manual - or at least not the version that came with my unit. Biggest thing I didn't realize is that the unit has to be turned on and actually generating for instant salinity to display. My unit has been turned on (which reset the average salinity to 0), but I've never turned the dial past 0 because, to @YippeeSkippy's point, I was waiting for the water to circulate.

Also, regarding the 180 minute cycle, is the on time randomized throughout the cycle to result in the total on time required for the percentage the dial is set to, or does it run all the on time up front?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.