Adapting an air compressor for pool lines (main drain blow out)

ezgz

Oct 23, 2021
London, Ontario
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi Everyone,

Trying to blow out my main drain (like so many others on this forum) but can't force enough air through with the shop vac. However, I do have access to an air compressor. My problem is that the compressor wont fit my pipes.

According to the compressor’s owner, it fits a 1/2" pipe. I have 2" PVC and I need to blow out the line from the garage, which is (horizontally) 30' from the drains and probably 6' vertically.

Complicating things further is that I have to blow out the drain where my pump (Pentair Superflo VST) attaches to the skimmer/drain line. Here are some pics:

As far as I can tell, the inner diameter of that pipe is 1 7/8" - it fits my vac hose perfectly… but said vac does not have what it takes.

At this point I'm open to any suggestions on how to connect to that line and reduce it down to half inch so I can use it with the compressor. Or if anyone has any other ideas I've overlooked, I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance!

You can buy This on Amazon in the size you'd need for the inside of the pipe in the second picture. That will work with a compressor attachment like filling a tire. First you would blow out the main drain line till you see lots of air coming out of the main drain in the deep and then lock it off with the valve and leave it shut without moving it till next season. Next would be to blow out the skimmer in the same fashion until you have no more water coming out and then use a skimmer gizmo to seal it off. The water should be below the skimmer level for this.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: ezgz
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.