Actuator valves not working

May 13, 2012
Santa Clara, CA
I noticed this morning my actuator valves did not rotate back to the pool after using the spa last night. I have an Easy touch control panel which shows it to be in pool mode but the valves remain switched to the spa. I tried to switch the valves over using the manual toggle switches on the actuators but they won't respond. I checked all circuit breakers and all looks good. I also have an indoor control panel which I used to turn the spa off last night. I'm guessing it might be a problem with between the Easy Touch and indoor control panel. Anyone have any ideas.

How old are the actuators?

The limit switches in them do go bad. Mine sometimes quit working and I pull the top off the acutator and tap them and they start working again. Lube on the seal around the shaft that goes through the actuator top helps too.

If the valves don't rotate with the manual switch either the panel is not giving it 24V AC or there is a problem with the wire from the actuator to the panel or a limit switch has failed. If both actuators are not turning then it is unlikely they had simultaneous limit switch failures.

Check that no critter chewed the wires or they got pulled.

You can do diagnostics if you are comfortable opening the ET panel and working with a multimeter.

I agree, with both going out at the same time its not limit switch failures and my wiring is fine. I'm beginning to think it may be the motherboard since prior to this happening two brand new Intellibrite 5G lights that were just installed a month ago quit working yet the indicator lights on both control panels light up. I've been waiting to hear back from the guy who installed the lights then this happened.

Hey Jim, I don't think it's the drivers (famous last words!). Since the actuator's toggle doesn't work I think Allen is on track with 24vac not getting to the actuator... should be simple to check with a multimeter, just be careful not to short the pins with the meter leads. All of the board mounted, 3-pin valve connectors should have 24vac between the middle and one of the outer pins.

If 24vac isn't there then the relay could be bad (24vac comes straight to the relay to be switched on/off). If the relay is ok - and there are no burned traces on the board - then it could be a power supply issue because the 24vac comes straight from the system transformer (but this again can also be tested easily with a multimeter).

Tom

Don't have a multimeter but will try and borrow one tomorrow. I ran diagnostic self test and it shows error 4 switch. It just seems strange that the pool and spa lights quit working shortly before the valves quit responding. I took the actuators off and now just turning manually until I get this figured out. Hopefully the guy who changed out the lights shows up tomorrow...he'll have a multimeter. Thanks for everyone for your input.

If your lights are LED lights powered by the 24VAC it is another indication you lost that transformer.

Hmm, I "think" your switch error means the controller thinks one of your buttons is stuck ON (this could be a faulty button or a faulty buffer chip on the main board that the buttons are connected to).

You can try pressing all the buttons a few times, and if that doesn't work you might try taking the board off the bezel and checking for any corrosion or signs of past moisture.

figured it out...I mentioned this happened shortly after finding both my new pool and spa lights quit working. As it turned out the pool light has a short and tripped the GFI which also affected my valves. Reset the GFI and the valves work. Now waiting for the light to be replaced. Thanks everyone for your input.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.