Activating SWG for first time

Dallas_James

Aug 6, 2020
Dallas/TX
Our pool was finished at the end of 2020 and given the temps just ran it as liquid bleach until now. I added salt yesterday (Didn’t test salt level yet today - storming out). My CYA is currently 34. Should I get CYA to the 80 range before I turn on SWG? Should I confirm salt is 3000-3200 ppm before turning on? Or should I turn it on tomorrow am and just start getting CYA up and check salt level. I was going to get liquid acid tomorrow.

No rush no the CYA. Start to add it slowly over the next few weeks.

Check the salt prior to starting the SWCG. If you have to add salt, be sure the SWCG is off until fully dispersed.

James,

I would test the salt level before turning it on.. What are you using to test for salt?? If the salt level is ok, then I would fire it up..

This time a year I would not worry about your CYA level, but you need to start easing it up to 50 then slowly get it up to 70 to 80 in the next few weeks..

Thanks,

Jim R.

James,

I would test the salt level before turning it on.. What are you using to test for salt?? If the salt level is ok, then I would fire it up..

This time a year I would not worry about your CYA level, but you need to start easing it up to 50 then slowly get it up to 70 to 80 in the next few weeks..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Leslie’s is across the street and tests for free, so been getting the readings from them thus far. I use the TF-100 but take it them once in awhile to check my work. I have the Taylor strips and Taylor 1766 drop salt test going forward.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.