Acceptable Ranges?

TJardim

Feb 12, 2019
Florida
Hi,

I am a new pool owner who came across TFP. I enjoy the articles and took advice and purchased a Taylor K-2006C test kit (and salt kit). This is when my confusion started. Some of the acceptable range numbers from Taylor are different then I read in article on this site. Any advice would be appreciated. My pool size is 14000gallons according to place I bought from (although, formula from internet search tells me it is more closer to 15709 gallons), it's a saltwater pool, it's above ground with a cartlidge filter. I am located in central Florida (weather in low 80's).

FC, CYA and TA seem to be the three main differences.

Thanks for help,
Tracy

Welcome to the forum!

The chemistry value ranges shown in TFP are based on science. There is a sub forum Deep End that has all the data and scientific back up for the ranges we recommend. We also know that anecdotally, they work. And make maintaining your pool water chemistry Trouble Free.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook book.

Welcome to TFP! As you’ve already notated, you enjoy reading the articles and forum threads. I too, bought a recommended Taylor K-2006C test kit after joining last July.

It appears you’re also been reading Taylor’s “testing and treatment guide” booklet included with the test kit. No doubt you’ve found that informative as I did. However, the information the booklet contains is static. This site is dynamic and pool water chemistry results that you’ve read here on TFP works.

Looking at the booklet and it’s recommended guidelines for FC, CYA and TA that are listed are from APSP 2011 and NSPF 2014, which are 8 and 5 years old. The absolute beauty of TFP is it’s dynamic. You ask a question the experts answer. There isn’t anything better than that.

Thanks for the responses.

It was/is a little confusing. The manufacturer (RetroJet SWG) says CYA should be kept at 60ppm, Taylor says 30-50, even if its a saltwater pool (I spoke with them), TFP says 70-80ppm. Confusing to say the least. I would think the manufacturer would know best, it's their product. Taylor is a well known testing company, since they are in the "business" you would assume they would know best. Experts on here who are using scientific methods are hard to ignore as well.

Bottom line: I just want to have and keep things at a SAFE level for my children.

So, I've read FC is based on CYA (based on Chlorine/CYA chart by chemgeek) and the min FC is 4.5% of CYA, but what would target or high end ranges be?

Also, I now understand eventhough TA (160) is high (recommended range is 60-80), since it isn't a "problem" I can leave alone, correct?

Thanks for the help and glad I found this site!

Tracy, if you can list all your test results in the preferred format, we can look at the complete picture.
For example- if you're having large fast rises in pH that high TA is the cause. Knowing which chemical levels play off or work with other levels makes it easier to know how to balance them.

Tell us:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Mostly our "ranges" of chemical suggestions take in to consideration things like local climate, how the pool is sanitized, fill water chemistry, etc. What an owner does to balance their water in Florida is often quite different from someone in Arizona, yet both are balanced even though their levels are different. Its learning how to "read" what balance is. PoolMath helps enormously in this.

Maddie :flower:

Any of the recommended CYA levels between RetroJet, Taylor or TFP, are safe. Even much higher levels of CYA are safe. We have found that a bit higher levels of CYA - 70 to 80 - protect your CL better from the sun and let your SWG run less. Retrojet and Taylor do not adjust their recommendations based upon where you live. But we know that pools in the south get lots more sun and benefit from higher CYA levels.

Our FC & CYA recommendations are all based on ths chart. - FC/CYA CHART. Any FC level below shock level for your CYA is safe.

Don’t concern yourself about your high TA. TA will naturally come down as you lower your pH. Only if you have issues with rapidlly rising pH may it be necessary to force TA down. Even then, the constant lowering of pH will bring the TA down.

Do you have an autofill on uour pool? What are the pH, TA & CH of your fill water?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.