Hello from Northern California

robotocausa

Jul 22, 2023
Roseville, CA
New Pool Owner in Roseville, CA.

I don't even know the size (I do know the formula) so will plug in once I have the measurements. I have downloaded the Pool Math app and read some articles. Ordered my test kit (Taylor K-2006C) but it won't arrive until next week. Should I wait to test it first before using the pool or can we jump in this weekend?

Hey Robo and beleated Welcome !!!

Is the pool new or did you just move to a house with a pool ?

What's the water look like ?

Walmart had the cheapest liquid chlorine (in the pool aisle) for most places. Check the date code on the bottle for the freshest supply. It'll say 23187XXXX. It was produced in 2023 on day 187. I use simple math with 30 days per month and the leftover days. I'd spitball 6 full months and 17 days as June 17th. A few days off doesn't matter. Or you can Google Julian calander in the aisle. Anywho you want 3 months old or less, preferably much less. Always dig if the ones up front aren't great, they may be trying to rotate stock with the old ones up front.

Get a general volume and add 5ppm, daily, per poolmath. As long as it's clear and has some FC, you should be ok to swim for a couple days.

Reactions: robotocausa

Walmart had the cheapest liquid chlorine (in the pool aisle) for most places. Check the date code on the bottle for the freshest supply. It'll say 23187XXXX. It was produced in 2023 on day 187. I use simple math with 30 days per month and the leftover days. I'd spitball 6 full months and 17 days as June 17th. A few days off doesn't matter. Or you can Google Julian calander in the aisle. Anywho you want 3 months old or less, preferably much less. Always dig if the ones up front aren't great, they may be trying to rotate stock with the old ones up front.

Get a general volume and add 5ppm, daily, per poolmath. As long as it's clear and has some FC, you should be ok to swim for a couple days.
Hi Newdude,

We are moving into a house with a pool.

Water looks nice and clear. The previous owners left a bottom cleaner - I think a Pentair Legend which has four-wheels. How often do I need to run this thing and how do I get it started?

Water looks nice and clear
Awesome!! Add the 5ppm a day until your test kit comes and you should be fine to swim.
I think a Pentair Legend which has four-wheels. How often do I need to run this thing and how do I get it started?
No idea how to get it going. Hang tight and maybe somebody knows.

As far as frequency, it's trial and error and also the level if OCD the owner has. It will fluctuate through the season based on whatever is falling/blowing into the pool.

Ok GREAT. Run the full suite of tests and post em up.

Skip the block FC test and only test PH using the block. Use the powder FC test exclusively for now.

Take any test on the instruction sheet and gather the supplies. You don't even need to know what R-0013 (etc) is, just grab what it tells you. Uncap them in order so you can go through the test in an orderly fashion. Pick them up from one side and put them down on the other. Cap and clean up after.

Once you get the endpoint of any test, it's over. The FC test, for example, may go pink again if it sits a little bit. Anything that happens on any test after the fact doesn't count.

I am doing the Free & Combined Chlorine test (FAS-DPD) and I feel like. I dropped at least 10 dippers of the R-0870 and it hasn't turned pink
So, your chlorine is zero.

Can you post the rest of your test results? Have you added any chlorine since you moved in? Is your water turning green?

So, your chlorine is zero.

Can you post the rest of your test results? Have you added any chlorine since you moved in? Is your water turning green?

Hi. Attaching my recent logs. How much water do I need to displace to drop CYA?
------------------------------------------
Chemical Addition 08-11-2023 @ 04:06 PM
+ 65 FluidOunces of Bleach

Test Results 08-11-2023 @ 03:44 PM
Free Chlorine: 0.4
pH: 7.4
Total Alkalinity: 70
Calcium Hardness: 40
CYA: 70

Chemical Addition 08-09-2023 @ 12:00 PM
+ 26 FluidOunces of Bleach

Chemical Addition 08-07-2023 @ 04:45 PM
+ 12.8 FluidOunces of Bleach

Chemical Addition 08-07-2023 @ 04:00 PM

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi. Attaching my recent logs. How much water do I need to displace to drop CYA?
Chemical Addition 08-11-2023 @ 04:06 PM
+ 65 FluidOunces of Bleach

Test Results 08-11-2023 @ 03:44 PM
Free Chlorine: 0.4
pH: 7.4
Total Alkalinity: 70
Calcium Hardness: 40
CYA: 70

Chemical Addition 08-09-2023 @ 12:00 PM
+ 26 FluidOunces of Bleach

Chemical Addition 08-07-2023 @ 04:45 PM

Chemical Addition 08-07-2023 @ 04:00 PM
FC is now 2.0. Going to add another 65 fluid oz

pool yesterday didn't look like it had algae. didn't realize FC goes down daily.

Reactions: Newdude
Should I expect to add chlorine everyday
Yup. The sun is there every day, whether or not it's cloudy.

Once you get a good feel for it you cab likely double dose and skip the in-between day. Or skip the test on the in-between day and just dose like the day before. Both ways require you to adjust as necessary, and only after you become one with the pool.

Yup. The sun is there every day, whether or not it's cloudy.

Once you get a good feel for it you cab likely double dose and skip the in-between day. Or skip the test on the in-between day and just dose like the day before. Both ways require you to adjust as necessary, and only after you become one with the pool.
I like that - one with the pool. The previous owner left chlorine tabs. Can I take advantage of those or should I just stick with liquid chlorine?

The previous owner left chlorine tabs. Can I take advantage of those or should I just stick with liquid chlorine?
If they are dichlor or trichlor tabs, they will raise your CYA and yours is already kind of high. If they are CalHypo tabs, it would be ok to use them up, but don't use them forever. If you post a pic of the ingredients list, we can tell you which kind they are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
I am doing the Free & Combined Chlorine test (FAS-DPD) and I feel like. I dropped at least 10 dippers of the R-0870 and it hasn't turned pink.
Put 1 1/2 dippers in. If no pink, your FC=0.
I removed about two weeks of organic material from the filters today
Given your logs (consistent low FC) and your CYA level, I would do this test. Link-->Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

If you fail, you need to start this process. Link-->SLAM Process

I would stop the use of those tablets, NOW. They add CYA. Use liquid chlorine for now. It is harder (like REALLY hard) to clear a pool using the SLAM process when your CYA is above 60-70.

Get that OCLT test going!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.