Above ground vinyl pool, new pump, bonding question

May 10, 2016
Boston
So I have an Intex 5,000 gal above ground pool that's vinyl and I think even the frame is partially plastic or PVC. The original pump was outdoor/didn't require bonding (according to the manual).

My new pump has a bonding lead. It's on a GFCI circuit, and I've concluded that we will still turn off the circuit when the pool is in use.

Should this still be bonded? I'm very confused about the specifics of bonding this pool given there is no metal part of the frame to connect to. Connecting the water would likely be just dangling a bit of wire over the edge into the water.

If I circle the pool with copper wire, do I do it around the top of the pool or on the ground?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi Fred,

Sorry you haven't received any responses yet.

I can't say with certainty what the requirements for bonding a vinyl pool are, but I can point you this wiki page.

According to the article, bonding of the water, pump and heater (if applicable) is required.

There are fittings available for water bonding, so no need to hang a wire in the water.

1655124523785.png

Let's see if anyone else has input.

Reactions: FredFredrickson
Hey Thanks for your reply.

I'm a little lost because the manual that came with the pump is cryptic and not well written.

I am under the understanding that bonding is different than grounding. In fact- the manual recommends taking the green grounding terminal under the pump and connecting it to the ground of our electric supply. Am I to bond from this same terminal?

Is all of this overkill if I simply plan to shut off the GFCI breaker when we use the pool?

Is it overkill to use the grounding terminal, when the power adapter is already 3 prong and is therefore running through our electric supply ground?

Hi Fred,

Sorry you haven't received any responses yet.

I can't say with certainty what the requirements for bonding a vinyl pool are, but I can point you this wiki page.

According to the article, bonding of the water, pump and heater (if applicable) is required.

There are fittings available for water bonding, so no need to hang a wire in the water.

View attachment 423013

Let's see if anyone else has input.
Okay so I've decided to move forward with bonding on 4 posts, water and pump.

I like the PVC T with the bonding insert but I have only clamped on 1.25 inch hoses. No screw fittings. No skimmer on mine just a mesh cover on the intakes.

I have a spare intake after converting to the new pump that I just have plugged an covered. That seems like a prime place to bond the water. Any ideas how up attach bonding with 1.25" hoses and adapters?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.