Above ground salt pool

Third season of salt in my no resin parts at all ABG.

It has rust, but I highly doubt it is from the salt. The pool is +/- 15 years old.

I myself have it for 5 seasons before I switched to salt, and I see no difference in the amount of rust I take care of. It's an old pool, things get scuffed, then they rust.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Huh. I had two different pool techs say that I definitely shouldn't switch to a SWG with an above ground pool because it'd corrode it super fast. They weren't really trying to sell me on an alternative, so surprising to hear that no, you definitely can do that.
A few have posted salt readings of over a 1000 from leftover chlorine salt. Already 1/3 of the way to salt pool lol. One added salt to switch but overshot due to carryover he didn’t know about.

Huh. I had two different pool techs say that I definitely shouldn't switch to a SWG with an above ground pool because it'd corrode it super fast. They weren't really trying to sell me on an alternative, so surprising to hear that no, you definitely can do that.
Acidic trichlor & dichlor has more effect on corrosion than the salt does . Any metal wall pool will rust if not properly Ph balanced not just the salt ones. The issue is that some people go looking for a magic maintenance free pill & they think having a swg means you don’t have to do anything - So they don’t then when things go bad they blame the salt.
The resin (Salt approved) pools still have the same coated steel walls just like their counterparts. Chlorinated Water causes uncoated metal to rust/oxidize period.
I have seen some pretty rusty non swg pools. If someone is buying a new above ground I’d definitely recommend resin for that reason. Salt may have a tiny effect in accelerating the inevitable but not by much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.