Above ground pool wall has a rust spot high on wall. How should I best repair this?

Feb 2, 2008
Northwest Indiana
The spot is right by the steps opposite of the stainless steel for skimmer and return. It was caused by the wratchet for winter cover rubbing. Saw it last summer, but didn't get to it as my dad passed away at the end of the summer.

I found fairoaksproducts.com a place that sells stainless inserts for pool walls to replace skimmers and returns. My pool has stainless section for that. They sell an 8 inch by 8 inch piece of stainless for about 25 bucks and comes with all the hardware and drill bit to fix.

Has anyone done this and can anyone give me some tips on doing so successfully so this does not cost me a new liner in the process?

Thanks in advance for the help guys.

Last summer we had to repair rust areas that had eaten away our pool wall around the skimmer and return openings. I am going thru my previous posts and searches from online and I will get that information to you as soon as I can. Just wanted to let you know. I'll be back in a few minutes. ?

You have to drain the pool to below the rust area and pull away the liner to see how bad the rust is on the inside of the wall. Usually the inside is much worse than the outside.
You will have to sand away the rust, paint over the area with galvanized paint or rust-o-leum. If the wall is bady corroded, you will have to bolt a piece of galvanized sheet metal panel onto the inside of the pool wall to reinforce that area. Here's a video that shows how to do a repair but with a much larger section. It is important to cover the bolts and edges of the sheet metal with several layers of duct tape.
In the video the installer says you have a 1 day window to get the repair done, so you could probably have difficulty saving the liner if it takes longer than a day or two.
A better video of a smaller repair:
This is a thread that explains how to do it. How to Fix Rust Holes
Here is another previous thread: Above Ground Skimmer Replacement

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.