Above ground pool wall collapse during install - wind gusts

TMSPool

Jun 9, 2020
Mead, Colorado
27'x48" Concord pool ordered through Doheny's. Self install as we don't have pool installers near us in Colorado. We finally got the pool wall up and clamped it in place with posts on the exterior while we worked on sand bottom. Left pool area unattended a couple hours to manage life and out of no where we had some huge wind gusts rip through, collapsing the pool wall. Mostly all was fine, although there is a little bend near the bottom of one area. No hole and not a major bend. We took the wall that were still standing down and rolled the wall up again to wait for next weekend for round 2. We were so exhausted after the ground prep, leveling, pavers, unrolling and proper fitting of the wall. We were deflated with getting this far and having all that work collapse. Anyway, should I be concerned about the little bend / dimple or will it fix itself with proper support once all is installed? Thanks in advance for support.

NOOOOOOOOO! I know your heart sank when you saw that :( Such a BIG sad after all of that work.

I think that little bend will be okay once everything is up and attached. I would use gentle hands and great care in that area when you are putting that are back into the bottom track. If you need to force it into the track do so gently and trying to move it as little as possible.

Reactions: TMSPool
NOOOOOOOOO! I know your heart sank when you saw that :( Such a BIG sad after all of that work.

I think that little bend will be okay once everything is up and attached. I would use gentle hands and great care in that area when you are putting that are back into the bottom track. If you need to force it into the track do so gently and trying to move it as little as possible.

I have to admit, when we installed our pool last year "gently" wasn't a word I'd use to describe any part of dealing with the steel wall.
Also.......it tended to move wherever it wanted on it's own and had to be fixed a lot after it was in place. This makes trying to make sure everything is square (oval pool) extra fun....

How long has it been since you put up that 33' pool kimkats?

Yes, there were a few expletives muttered. The cherry on top was stupidly grabbing the metal at the filter hole and cutting my finger. Thanks for the support. Friday we begin round 2. Wish us luck!

• Sad
Reactions: kimkats
Yes, there were a few expletives muttered. The cherry on top was stupidly grabbing the metal at the filter hole and cutting my finger. Thanks for the support. Friday we begin round 2. Wish us luck!

When we did ours there were plenty of issues.
Including the wall popping out of the bottom rail and sand keeping it from "shrinking" back to the correct dimension to get it back in.

You're not alone.

Reactions: TMSPool
My pool was put up the day I made this account! July 10, 2012. LOL on the word gentle not being used.............the only place I would use it is on the bend.............other than that it is do what you need to do to get that bad boy up!!!

When you put up the wall, do you put on the top plates, coping and rails while working on the sand? The top plates have flanges that go over the wall.
Doughboy instructions had us do that which supported the walls while we worked. But then Doughboy has you put the liner on over the plates and rails to install it. (Doughboy installation is different than any other liner instructions that I've seen.)

DSCF0848 resz.JPG

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.