Above Ground Pool Size & Depth

Re: Above Ground Pool Size & Depth

Should work now.

What I was suggesting was to close up the original return fitting, and cut a home for a new return fitting that's lower down.

Right. Got that. What I am suggesting is that they use a few pieces of PVC and some PVC fittings to redirect the return lower in the water, to keep it from splashing on the surface. They might have to replace the existing port to be able to mate it to PVC, but they wouldn't have to cut the second hole. When the boys grow up and they can restore the original port, they won't have that second hole to live with.

It's just another way to go about it... I'm not sure which way would be easier to put together, but if I could solve this without cutting a hole in my new liner, I would...

It's just a matter of finding the right parts at a pool and/or hardware store.

I'll go hunt down my original fitting, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't able to work with normal PVC fittings on either side. To replace it with a normal fitting like I posted, and still use Intex brand pumps, you must also get these specially made Intex to 1-1/2" MPT fitting. If anyone does get these, use plenty of Teflon tape on the Intex hose side of it, and be careful of how tight you make it. There's a very small window between too loose and leaking, and too tight and leaking. Best to hand tighten, then turn on pump and tighten until you just notice it's no longer dripping.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, with this method, iirc, you still need to cut the liner a little, to make the new return fitting fit. Pretty much any modifications to an Intex pool requires cutting cuz everything stock is proprietary. I've cut my liner a half dozen times and with a sharpie and exacto knife, it's super easy (but still nerve wracking, lol). Just go slow and steady your hand.

We had an Intex 14x42" for several years, and it was a nice pool until it eventually rusted out and we replaced it with a 16x48". Like you, we had a young son at the time and liked that he could keep his head above water.

They were both round. Here was the 14'...

19eb3088d75643d11eb5db5f8fea5cac.jpg

And the 16'...

7730b806450557b6623769053470fbf2.jpg

Wow - that's amazing about your 4 year old! Maybe we will be so lucky this summer, but I'm not too optimistic. :) We have a 5 and 7 year old. 7 year old can do a few strokes, but no real progress with 5 year old to date. They've taken a few swim lessons, but we've never had a pool available on a regular basis.

Our water depth is 48". When installed only the oldest of our kids could touch, aged 3, 6, & 8 at the time. None could swim. After the first summer, the youngest and middle kids were better swimmers than the eldest. They had to swim if they wanted to venture away from the ladder or an adult. The eldest could cheat and touch his way around. Granted, it was mostly doggy paddle and hold breath and push from the sides, but definitely more capable than sinking.
I'd go with the deeper pool and let them grow into it. Put a life jacket or floaty ring on them and let them have fun with adult supervision. Let them learn to swim by themselves from the ladder / sides to an adult & back. For my kids, the desire for independence was incentive to learn to get around without being able to touch.

Our water depth is 48". When installed only the oldest of our kids could touch, aged 3, 6, & 8 at the time. None could swim. After the first summer, the youngest and middle kids were better swimmers than the eldest. They had to swim if they wanted to venture away from the ladder or an adult. The eldest could cheat and touch his way around. Granted, it was mostly doggy paddle and hold breath and push from the sides, but definitely more capable than sinking.
I'd go with the deeper pool and let them grow into it. Put a life jacket or floaty ring on them and let them have fun with adult supervision. Let them learn to swim by themselves from the ladder / sides to an adult & back. For my kids, the desire for independence was incentive to learn to get around without being able to touch.

I think that's the best advice of all. The sooner they can swim, the safer they'll be, no matter the depth...

The reality is, you can't make a pool 100% safe. You can mess with the odds: fences, door alarms, pool covers, water depth, floaties, whatever, but, IMO, they can give you a false sense of security that actually increases the danger. No child should be near a body of water without an adult more than 3 seconds away, and paying full attention. Period. My nine-year-old wants to be allowed to be out in the yard by himself, and he's a strong swimmer. My answer was this: when you can jump in the pool with shirt, shoes, jeans and a jacket on, and swim to the edge and get out, then you can be by yourself in the yard. (And even then I'd watch him through the window!)

I'm not sure what the age cutoff should be.

Here, this'll do it. I can't even think about this story without choking up. I was at a small man-made lake with my family. My two-year-old g-son was playing in the water, about 3' from shore, the water was about a foot deep. He was all geared up in his life jacket. Adults all around. His mom got a phone call and got distracted. I was about 15' away, on a lounge chair. I happened to look over and saw him laying in the water. I jumped up and ran over to him. (OK, really choking up now. I'll remember this to my dying day...) He was barrel rolling in the water and just as I reached for him he rotated face up, stared right at me, and the look in his eyes... confusion mostly... uhhh.

He would have drowned in a foot of water, with a life jacket on. The jacket actually made it worse. It didn't put him enough out of the water to breathe, but it kept him from sinking enough to get his bearing and allow him to stand up.

Point was... It doesn't matter how deep you make your pool, or what they have on, or how comfortable they are in the water. You have to be sitting at the edge, or in with them, paying full attention the entire time they're in or near the water anyway...

This. Kids definitely want their independence and to copy their parents. They see you swimming and have no choice but to swim if they want on their own, and they will learn quick.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.