Hello,
Soon to be pool owner. Excavation is tomorrow and install is shortly after that. Site has to be dug 20” to be level so it’s not as crazy as other stuff I’ve heard and read on here.

I’m just worried about water collecting around it and ruining my pool. Basically what measures I should take to make sure my pool is as ready for any elements as possible. I worry way too much but also just like to be prepared.

Water hasn't collected in the pool location before (water runs downhill... obviously I guess) but I’m just concerned.

The top part of the hill will be inclosed by a deck so that won’t be dug down much, but the sides and bottom will be out as much as four feet to fit the code regulations.

Will be asking my installer for his input, he has put in over 1000 pools over 40 years (supposedly, has a ton of great ratings) so I think I’m in good hands but also wanted to ask all of you.

Will the water just naturally flow out the Back end?

Thanks want to enjoy pool life but also a nervous nelly!

Welcome to TFP.

What type and model of pool are you installing?

Post pics of your ground and the excavation so we can see your situation.

I’m not sure, I have to check. My situation is somewhat different than this but I see why you sent me there. I’ll send pictures tomorrow as maybe I’m not being totally clear. I don’t want to fill in too much as I need 48 inches from ground to rail.

I am just worried about water making moat here as it’s a low spot but I guess everybody’s pool is somewhat on a low spot?

It really depends how your builder is going to do the bottom, if gravel for drainage will be placed by the pool, how he grades around the pool, and how he backfills.

You will not know how successful your builder was until the first good rain.

I was roughly 6 ft into the hillside and a spring popped up in the last 3 years. I used 500ft of corrugated plastic pipe to move the water this spring. I got the pipe off a buddy of mine at work for free.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
This is what I’m working with. Doesn’t seem too bad at all, guy did an awesome job digging in my opinion. So the plan was for some corrugated pipe on the deck side draining to the bottom, should work right?

2nd thought, should I spray the side of pool before it is back filled with some dirt? Digger said spray undercoating works and I saw before a person had recommended spray galv. Any thoughts on this? You are all the best!
04408045-F279-4B3C-B02D-41E088239B0A.jpegC6C6B0A2-7F2C-448A-9F69-80AC4BCBCBA4.jpegE544F104-BBD3-4D74-9840-1D8842112962.jpeg

If you are going to backfill right to the pool I would seal everything up with foundation coating or similar. backfill with clean gravel and throw pipe in to gravity drain to daylight to be sure. water will always collect in lower areas even if its just when it rains.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If I was gonna paint something on I would use foundation coating instead with heavy plastic over it stuck to it when done. Drylok is ok but I dont think it's meant to contact the ground and I think it adheres to masonry best

I don’t want to fill in too much as I need 48 inches from ground to rail.

Well.... I think the first issue is you have what appears to be at least a 1' straight drop on the edge by the deck. Depending on how strick the building code is that edge will be above the 48" minimum and be so close to the pool edge it might not pass. Now if you are running the existing deck to the pool then this might not be a issue. I do see a large issue with the way the grading will be left only backfilling 6" up against the pool. It certainly looks like you can get a large amount of surface water heading down those slopes towards the base of the pool especially because of the gutters dumping water up hill of the pool.

Are you just planning on putting stone on the up hill slopes and most likely a stone 'splash' ring around the entire pool ?

I would suggest digging a addition trench (12" wide ) the entire perimeter of the pool at least 1' away from where the legs sit so you do not undermine them and have it at least 6" below the current level (the bottom of this trench can be level). Then install a good quality filter fabric going from under the pool all the way up the slopes. Put a flexible perferated 4" pipe in the trench on top of the fabric. At one of the lowest spots around the pool 'Tee' off of the loop you have made with the flexible pipe with solid schedule 40 pipe and run that out to daylight encased in stone and fabric as well. Make sure you are using a clean washed stone free from fines.

Rich D,
Thanks for the detailed response. I just have one or two questions. The side by the deck will be extended and won’t have to worry about the 48” boundary (opens up to house and will have door alarm). So on this side is it ok to backfill to grade in that section then slope the ground down and around the pool? (I would coat the pool with a protectant as high as the dirt goes) I don’t know if I will have room on this side to put the black pipe a foot back depending on where the deck footers will have to go. Around the rest of the pool I will have more than enough space. Will this work as I have it planned? I don’t want water settling here. If not what else could I do?

The rain gutters have been on the to do list for a while. Digging a trench and putting solid pipe that will run past the pool and into the bottom of the yard where water drains on my property anyway. So gutter water won’t go to pool which is a big help!

Was going to put river rock all over the area by the pool. Some of this area will be filled in, but still need to stay within code on sides to avoid the white fence.

That being said, just to be clear the plan was to create a Valley/trench low spot for the water around the pool and then doing the pipe with holes. Was going to dig this to the low spot on the bottom then connect this to the other pipe.

My main concern is just to avoid water sitting on the back side.

Will what I have stated work?

Appreciate all the help, just a overly nervous planner!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.