About to go Salt

Mcb

Jan 3, 2018
Chino hills, CA
I'm about to order the equipment and have been doing research. Any final things that I should be aware of or concerned about? I have a 10k pool. Looking at getting the Pentair IC40. Also upgrading my pump from single speed to Intelliflo VSF.

Some of the negative talk out there about corrosion is my only worry, but it seems like as long as you keep the salt content within the proper range it shouldn't impact my equipment. One installer told me that he wouldn't do it unless I had a nickel heater exchange, which he offered to sell me.... I think I debunked that concern, but i just want to make sure i'm not making a mistake here.

You have had several threads discussing this subject. There is no concern of corrosion with a SWCG. Low pH causes corrosion. Pool water all has salt in it. If you have used liquid chlorine or trichlor, your salt level in the water may surprise you.

Reactions: Mcb
I have seen that negativity in person. By more than a dozen liquid chlorine friends standing over my pool telling me about all the problems I have. Ok then. Find me that rust. Go on. Show me. Right in front of you. When they can’t they just revert back to the story of a friends, neighbors, college roommates, cousin who had nothing but troubles. Ok well you actually know me. And have seen this pool, with your own eyes, for a handful of years. How’s my metal ladder look ? Shiny as can be, right ? And the light niche? And the skimmer screws ? Go on and look.

Then the discussion moves to why their single speed pump that costs $100 a month in electric is so much better than my VS. which cost so little at $10 ish a month that i decided to make pool care even easier and run 24/7 for a whopping $10 more a month. Grown adults with brains, standing over my pool/equipment, telling me all my downfalls (which I don’t have). I just try a little and give up at the first feeling of the person unwilling to listen. It’s not worth the peeing match ruining the day which was supposed to be fun. Ok then. I’m an idiot. Let’s go have a beer and swim !! Here, try some ribs and maybe you’ll forgive me a little for being a fool. *happy day back on track*

I'm always amazed by what people say about SWG tech, usually they have no factual information about them. Here are some real numbers (roughly, without the science gobbledy goop).
The ocean has a salinity of about 35,000 ppm
Your tears/sweat have a salinity of about 7000 ppm
A real SWG Pool has a salinity of about 3400 ppm

So, yeah, if your pool had the salinity of the ocean you would experience the kind of corrosion that people that live on the coast do. And that is what uneducated/uninformed people tend to think a SWG pool's salinity like. A SWG is less than half the salinity of your tears.. so by that logic you shouldn't cry in your pool or it might rust your equipment. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
lso upgrading my pump from single speed to Intelliflo VSF.

mcb,

I am sure the VSF will work, but why not buy the cheaper VS... Almost no one needs the Variable Flow (VF) option and it just makes things more complicated and costs more.. I suggest you look at the VS model P/N 011028..

I have had zero problems related to saltwater.. I'd just as soon fill my pools in as not have a saltwater system.

I am a highly biased Pentair kind of guy, but I would not buy the IC40 without Pentair automation.. I would go with a Hayward or Circupool system.

Thanks,

Jim R.

So, yeah, if your pool had the salinity of the ocean you would experience the kind of corrosion that people that live on the coast do
I am maybe a dozen miles from the ocean. Less than a mile from a salt water bay, and about 3 miles from another larger salt water bay. I STILL don't have rusted stuff. You can smell the salt in the air if the humidity is certain %.

It's funny how the salt horror stories fly. Last summer we were in the 'getting estimates' stage, my cousin who lives in TX and has a very lavish pool/yard couldn't stop talking about how bad salt is, how she hates, all her neighbors theirs, etc etc. It ruined their equipment, no one ever tells you that, blah blah. Being green to the pool world, I took her words to heart. "She's been a pool owner for how many years now, she must know about them!" Yeahhhhhh. Not so much. After talking to her, 95% of her neighborhood used a pool service for maintenance. So I am guessing they did not have proper chemistry, which led to numbers out of whack, which led to equip malfunction.

@Mcb ... so did you realize that by bringing up the SWG causes corrosion subject.. everyone would jump in to chime in?! I have this theory that when SWG came out and started to get popular, people realized all they were paying to pool guy to do was scoop leaves. And who wants to pay someone just to scoop leaves, so they took on their pool's care themselves. Now Pool guys are loosing customers to SWGs.. so this is their defense to keep their jobs relevant.
:oops:[Pool guys out there! I know many of you hang out here. I say this half tongue in cheek. You'all are not all like that, But seems some are that way] ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I even spoke to a neighbor on our street who put in a liner IG last summer. While talking casually when all was wrapped up, I said, why haven't you done a salt pool....
She replied, oh our friends have /had it and converted back to a regular pool BECAUSE it was too difficult to manage. I tried to educate them explaining it's a more simple way of pool ownership but I couldn't convince them and wasn't going to try again because friends.....

mcb,

I am sure the VSF will work, but why not buy the cheaper VS... Almost no one needs the Variable Flow (VF) option and it just makes things more complicated and costs more.. I suggest you look at the VS model P/N 011028..

I have had zero problems related to saltwater.. I'd just as soon fill my pools in as not have a saltwater system.

I am a highly biased Pentair kind of guy, but I would not buy the IC40 without Pentair automation.. I would go with a Hayward or Circupool system.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I found it for the same cost as the 011028.

@Mcb ... so did you realize that by bringing up the SWG causes corrosion subject.. everyone would jump in to chime in?! I have this theory that when SWG came out and started to get popular, people realized all they were paying to pool guy to do was scoop leaves. And who wants to pay someone just to scoop leaves, so they took on their pool's care themselves. Now Pool guys are loosing customers to SWGs.. so this is their defense to keep their jobs relevant.
:oops:[Pool guys out there! I know many of you hang out here. I say this half tongue in cheek. You'all are not all like that, But seems some are that way] ;)

Also noticed how tablets and Shock were around $1 a pd not that long ago..Now your getting a deal if you buy them for $2 a pd

I have seen that negativity in person. By more than a dozen liquid chlorine friends standing over my pool telling me about all the problems I have. Ok then. Find me that rust. Go on. Show me. Right in front of you. When they can’t they just revert back to the story of a friends, neighbors, college roommates, cousin who had nothing but troubles. Ok well you actually know me. And have seen this pool, with your own eyes, for a handful of years. How’s my metal ladder look ? Shiny as can be, right ? And the light niche? And the skimmer screws ? Go on and look.

Then the discussion moves to why their single speed pump that costs $100 a month in electric is so much better than my VS. which cost so little at $10 ish a month that i decided to make pool care even easier and run 24/7 for a whopping $10 more a month. Grown adults with brains, standing over my pool/equipment, telling me all my downfalls (which I don’t have). I just try a little and give up at the first feeling of the person unwilling to listen. It’s not worth the peeing match ruining the day which was supposed to be fun. Ok then. I’m an idiot. Let’s go have a beer and swim !! Here, try some ribs and maybe you’ll forgive me a little for being a fool. *happy day back on track*

Yo tell them you VS will pump what their single speed will with a few pushes of a button but no need :)

I installed penatir complete automation about 8 years ago. I have had no issues with corosion. I do have a sacrificial anode in my system and when I upgraded my raypak heater I went with cupro nickel but I saw no issues with the copper alone.
I have a VF pump which I prefer. I think of flow in GPM so it is easier for me. I also like the vf because it will maintain constant flow if my filter begins to clog. rpm/power use will go up a bit, but my chlorinator and heater will contine to work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.