Burleson, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Is it normal for a SWG to read lower than what the Taylor K-1766 test reads. I have the Pentaire IC40 with Easy Touch system. The easy touch diagnostics shows 2450 ppm whereas the Taylor K-1766 shows 3600. Big discrepancy. If I add more salt to get the SWG to where it needs to be in order to produce, I may have too much salt in there according to the Taylor test. What do you all think. Maybe clean the cell and then see what I get? The cell is only a couple years old. Also, what I find odd is when I have cleaned the cells in past there’s never any scale on the cells. Thanks for any feedback!

Dad,

Cleaning the cell will never fix a low salt issue.

You should never use MA to clean the cell if you can't see scale.

IntelliChlor cells are known for having issues with testing salinity levels. This is due to a fault thermistor (temp sensor) inside the flow switch assembly. The fix is to replace the Flow Switch. This is a DIY fix, but if your system is under warranty, you should have Pentair fix it.

Even when working correctly the cell's salt test is +/- 500 ppm.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Judodad
Thank Jim. Will another brand SWG work with the Pentaire system? Just curious, if there’s a known problem with them if I should get a better one that will last longer. I’ve been through 3 SWG’s in 11 years so don’t know if that’s normal or about on par with expectations.

Another question. If I order a replacement flow switch, will an off brand like Excelfu be as good as OEM replacement or should I get the OEM Pentaire switch? Thanks

Dad,

In the big picture all salt cells tend to last 5 to 7 years. I've been through two replacement IC40's. The first cell lasted almost 10 years, the other over 7 years.

In my experience, about 75% of reported "bad" cells are not really cells failure at all, but just owners not understanding how they work. Not at all sure about yours.

If you have an EasyTouch I think it would be a mistake to not use another IC40, but that is your choice. For sure it will not "talk" to the EasyTouch, so you won't see the salt level, or be able to change output% from the ET.

They have made recent changes to the flow switch assy, so I would go with the Pentair replacement.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim, FYI and I’m sure you already know this. I cut the white wire on the flow switch which is the temp sensor and now it reads correctly. That for sure confirms a bad temp thermistor as it defaults to 77 degrees. I’ve learned a lot from TFP over the years and just found an article in the archives regarding the Pentaire salt cells and how to troubleshoot them.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.