Abandoned Pool - Suggestions Please

Just a quick check-in . . . we've contacted Sider-Crete and Aqua5000 directly to see if their products would work in this application. Aqua5000 got right back to us with an affirmative. Haven't heard from Sider-Crete yet. And having a hard time finding a local pool company that deals in liners (guess not very popular in these parts). Will be doing more cleaning of pool this week, power-washing, etc. and hopefully pushing water through the pipes to clear them out. Should have a decision on how we will proceed in the next week or so; husband and kiddos motivated to get the pool project going . . . it's been H-O-T!

Thank you for all your support and suggestions. Keep them coming - I especially appreciate links to more research/reading.

~ Tumbleweed Acres

Okay . . . after doing more research, and a long talk with @duraleigh (thank you so much for taking time out of your day to share your wisdom), we've decided to go with a liner (for now ;)). It will be the quickest (approx 3 weeks from measurement to installation) and most cost effective (~$5k installed) solution. I will now be starting a new thread for pool equipment suggestions as we need it all!

Thanks, again, to everyone for your suggestions and encouragement. As new pool owners, it has been a blessing to stumble upon TFP and the vast knowledge and experience so freely shared.

~ Tumbleweed Acres

Awesome. That sure sounds like the way to go. Mod's can weigh in, but you might consider doing everything in this thread, it keeps your entire build in one place...

Thank you borjis! Just got off the phone with their referral with a rough quote in hand ($5,000 for a liner installed in-case anyone was wondering).

Excellent!!

That is a GREAT price!

I had to have my liner custom measured, my pool is a fraction the size of yours and I paid around $ 4,000 total
so that is a fantastic deal for sure.

I'd start soon on deciding your liner pattern you want. It can be a tough decision with so many options available.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
On to equipment questions:

1. Pump and filter? Is that really all I need?
  2. Pumps: I went to Pool School and did some reading (and math) and it looks like due to our size, we will need a 2-3HP variable speed pump.
    • Math confirmation?
    • Manufacturer suggestions?
  3. Filters: As we get pretty dusty over here (at least until we get more ground cover planted), I think we should go with the DE filter.
    • Again, type and manufacturer suggestions?

And what's the deal with SWGs? I've read the the salt can cause the liner to become more brittle and reduce its life.

Finally, the pool company that bid the liner, also bid approximately $3k for pool equipment and its installation. Given that we are now having a company install the liner, we will have sooo much time on our hands, should we (husband) source and install the equipment ourselves?

~ Tumbleweed Acres

no the salt will not damage the liner. There are many misinformations about that out there.
What will make a liner short life and brittle is PH that is way off tfp specs. I don't know the ch
of your fill water will be, but calcium scaling would not be good for the liner either. Just following
the TFP way will ensure a great long lasting liner life.

The big question is, what SIZE swg. I think someone mentioned a very large Hayward model in an earlier post that might work.

I'd go with a sand filter instead of DE, just a personal preference. Easier to deal with in my opinion and you can add a bit of
pool grade DE to make the water more sparkly.

Speaking of keeping the filth out....

I would also highly recommend a Dolphin pool robot cleaner and not a pressure or suction side cleaner.

Initially you mentioned well and city water. What is the water quality of the well?

In the summer months (May, June, July, August, much of September) you will have evaporation losses of 1/2" to 1" per day. So use your surface area of the pool to see how much water that is, and how you plan to fill the pool.

The CH of your fill water is also something to consider. If high, with the evaporation quoted above, your CH will rise quickly. That will then take either a drain / refill every so many months / years or a Reverse Osmosis treatment. Another option is to get a water softener to just use for make up water (you would not use it for the initial fill).

Sanitizing is another issue. You must decide between liquid chlorine or SWCG.

Way to go TW! I suggest you take notes on these suggestions as the come in. Things can get confusing real quick with the different opinions and advice. The Moderators and Experts will be the most consistent and if it were me those are the ones to take comfort in. I don't mean this as a negative to anyone else as so many folks want to help and so many have great advice...just stay focused and ask any and all questions, keep reading the links sent already (I went so far as to print all that stuff out and keep it in a binder with tabs). Your in great hands so keep communicating!!!

So, was the decision to keep the pool at 71k gallons and not change the depth profile?

Because you are likely going to have to look at commercial sized filters for a pool that size.
And if you go salt, commercial sized SWG.

For the pump, I would just get the Intelliflo VS and use larger pipes (2.5").

TW,

Is the liner company going to prep the shell?

We will do all the initial cleaning; the company will do the final, pre-installation prep.

~ Tumbleweed Acres

- - - Updated - - -

Initially you mentioned well and city water. What is the water quality of the well?

We are having the well water tested next month. Turns out, all irrigation in the pool pavilion is city water. We will need to change that as city water in California is way too expensive.

- - - Updated - - -

Phfft! This is just their starter pool. Once they're ready to take off their training wheels, they can go after these guys:

Tennessee man builds 500,000 gallon pool he dreamed of as a child - YouTube

1,200,000 Litre Backyard Pool - YouTube

:)

Ohhhhhhh! I saw a show on this guy years ago. Yes, I am already graphing out where to put the horses swimming pool - husband says no, but horses are all for it!

- - - Updated - - -

Way to go TW! I suggest you take notes on these suggestions as the come in.

The quote I am known for is, "I have a spreadsheet for that." Thing is, I do.

- - - Updated - - -

So, was the decision to keep the pool at 71k gallons and not change the depth profile?

So far, yes. I know it will mean more in equipment expense and operating costs, but the depth is already there . . .

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.