A very naive pool owner here!

Sounds like you and Mike got it. Mike, be sure and guide her through all the other steps she needs to do today. Thx!

There are a bunch of factors that determine pump runtime, and you've got even more gear than most of us that would come into play. I'm gonna say for now that 8 hours is plenty, so leave it as is. We can fine tune your runtime after we take care of some other things.

I wasn't trying to hog your thread, but I think you might get tripped up following multiple sets of advice, especially because were working through a few unknowns. So let's see where we're at today.

It sounds like you added 30 oz of muriatic acid, the 31% stuff, yes? Where did you get your pool volume number from? If it is in fact 27000, and you were in fact at pH 8 before you dosed, according to Pool Math that should have brought your pH down to about 7.6. But you're reporting 7.4, right? And to get to there, that indicates that about 56 oz of acid was added. So that indicates that your IntelliChem system is also adding acid, and now your pH is a tad low. Which is why I wanted you to add only 15 oz.

The IntelliChem is supposed to be measuring your pH, and only adding acid when required. But that function relies on a ph-measuring probe inside it, which needs to be calibrated periodically to work correctly. And we don't know when that was last done. More to the point, we don't know what that thing is doing, and neither one of us knows how to work the thing! 🤪 At least I don't. So now that your pH is low, and if the IntelliChem is not functioning as expected, and is still pumping acid, we gotta correct that before you crash your pH and take your TA down with it.

What I'm proposing, until we can get help from someone that knows the IntelliChem, is to try and shut it down. So it will stop pumping acid, and we can get your pH back under control, manually. But I don't want to turn it off unless we can be sure the SWG stays on (the IntelliChem is also supposed to be measuring your chlorine, and running the SWG for you). So just shutting off the IntelliChem might also shut off the SWG.

Ya with me so far?

If you go back into service mode, you'll shut down everything including the pump! So we can't do that. Since no one is here yet to help us with the IntelliChem, I recommend you contact Pentair tech support (they're usually very helpful) and ask them how to disengage the IntelliChem system, but still allow your SWG to be controlled by your EasyTouch. Or maybe you can figure that out yourself if you've come up with the manual. Once you get that done, wait an hour and then do another full suite of tests. (It's good practice for you. )

Then we go from there.

How's that sound?

Last edited:
When you come up for air, here's some questions to answer as best you can.

1. Did you see or hear the word "ScreenLogic" while going over the pool stuff?

2. How did you determine your pool is 27000 gallons?

3. Have you seen any water coming over your spa's spillway yet?

4. Did you buy the Taylor K-2006, or the Taylor K-2006C? The latter has the 2oz reagents, the one without the "C" has the smaller 3/4oz.

5. How did you feel about your CYA testing? That's a tough one for most of us. Are you confident with your result of 30? That's going to be an important number to have. The smaller Taylor kit can only do that test a couple times, the bigger kit can do more. I don't want you to run out of that test, but I do want you to be sure you have a reliable number. Let me know what you think about that.

6. Do you have any solar panels on your roof, and if so do you know if they are for the pool or for electricity?

Reactions: Muna
There are a bunch of factors that determine pump runtime, and you've got even more gear than most of us that would come into play. I'm gonna say for now that 8 hours is plenty, so leave it as is. We can fine tune your runtime after we take care of some other things.

I wasn't trying to hog your thread, but I think you might get tripped up following multiple sets of advice, especially because were working through a few unknowns. So let's see where we're at today.

It sounds like you added 30 oz of muriatic acid, the 31% stuff, yes? Where did you get your pool volume number from? If it is in fact 27000, and you were in fact at pH 8 before you dosed, according to Pool Math that should have brought your pH down to about 7.6. But you're reporting 7.4, right? And to get to there, that indicates that about 56 oz of acid was added. So that indicates that your IntelliChem system is also adding acid, and now your pH is a tad low. Which is why I wanted you to add only 15 oz.

The IntelliChem is supposed to be measuring your pH, and only adding acid when required. But that function relies on a ph-measuring probe inside it, which needs to be calibrated periodically to work correctly. And we don't know when that was last done. More to the point, we don't know what that thing is doing, and neither one of us knows how to work the thing! 🤪 At least I don't. So now that your pH is low, and if the IntelliChem is not functioning as expected, and is still pumping acid, we gotta correct that before you crash your pH and take your TA down with it.

What I'm proposing, until we can get help from someone that knows the IntelliChem, is to try and shut it down. So it will stop pumping acid, and we can get your pH back under control, manually. But I don't want to turn it off unless we can be sure the SWG stays on (the IntelliChem is also supposed to be measuring your chlorine, and running the SWG for you). So just shutting off the IntelliChem might also shut off the SWG.

Ya with me so far?

If you go back into service mode, you'll shut down everything including the pump! So we can't do that. Since no one is here yet to help us with the IntelliChem, I recommend you contact Pentair tech support (they're usually very helpful) and ask them how to disengage the IntelliChem system, but still allow your SWG to be controlled by your EasyTouch. Or maybe you can figure that out yourself if you've come up with the manual. Once you get that done, wait an hour and then do another full suite of tests. (It's good practice for you. )

Then we go from there.

How's that sound?
Thank you for your guidance. Yes, I used 30 oz of muriatic acid, 31% . Actually I missed your post (suggesting 15oz) before using muriatic acid. The pool math suggested higher for me and I used less because to be on the safe side (I guess).
Yes, the ph this morning with K-2006 was 7.4.
The pool guy told me our pool might be 30,000 but I calculated with measuring length, depth, and width. So that was 27,000.
I will try to hold of Pentair tech support and will let you know what they suggest. Also did not find the manuals so need to look online if there is any. I will update with that too. I appriciate all the help! Thank you

Reactions: Dirk
Good job on double-checking your water volume. If you did the math right, that should be close enough. BTW, Muna, if you're suite of tests come back with FC in range, and your pH doesn't get much lower, and you can see the bottom of your pool, then heck yah! Get in that thing!! :swim::snorkle::paddle:

When you come up for air, here's some questions to answer as best you can.

1. Did you see or hear the word "ScreenLogic" while going over the pool stuff?
-Yes, I heard the word but dont know anything about it :)

2. How did you determine your pool is 27000 gallons?
- calculated myself :)

3. Have you seen any water coming over your spa's spillway yet?
-Yes, when the pump runs on schedule time water.

4. Did you buy the Taylor K-2006, or the Taylor K-2006C? The latter has the 2oz reagents, the one without the "C" has the smaller 3/4oz.
-Bought the smaller one. I will order "Taylor K-2006C" today. Thank you

5. How did you feel about your CYA testing? That's a tough one for most of us. Are you confident with your result of 30? That's going to be an important number to have. The smaller Taylor kit can only do that test a couple of times, the bigger kit can do more. I don't want you to run out of that test, but I do want you to be sure you have a reliable number. Let me know what you think about that.

-I did it twice yesterday and came up with the 30. I watched some youtube video about how to use the kit. Still not confident but can repeat again today. Thank you. Luckily, I ordered two small kits. I will make sure I ordered the big one today. Thank you.

6. Do you have any solar panels on your roof, and if so do you know if they are for the pool or for electricity?
-I do not have the solar panels on my roof.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good job on double-checking your water volume. If you did the math right, that should be close enough. BTW, Muna, if you're suite of tests come back with FC in range, and your pH doesn't get much lower, and you can see the bottom of your pool, then heck yah! Get in that thing!! :swim::snorkle::paddle:
I will test this afternoon. but the pool looks very clear. Thank you.

If you have Screenlogic, hopefully the old owner left something behind in the house that looks like a router. Any electrical stuff laying around? I would post a pic but can't do that right now. You could google Screenlogic and see what the components look like.

If you have Screenlogic, hopefully the old owner left something behind in the house that looks like a router. Any electrical stuff laying around? I would post a pic but can't do that right now. You could google Screenlogic and see what the components look like.
This is what you're looking for. It wouldn't be outside. It's about 2"x2"x3". Another clue would be anything on an interior wall that looks a bit like a HVAC thermostat. It would have the Pentair logo on it and a bunch of buttons.

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 8.55.21 AM.png

Dirk - I didn't mean to step on your toes! I just saw the PH was high & knew it would be an easy fix. You have a much better understanding of her equipment than I do.

Below is a link to a video on the Intellichem. The first 20 or 30 minutes is good. The rest is questions & answers that may not be worth watching. Muna could try lowering the PH setpoint & see if the Stenner pump comes on. Does anyone know how long it should take for the pump to come on after changing the setpoint? Could be a question for Pentair if you call them. Don't forget to return the setpoint to the original setting.
Intellichem video

Muna, you're doing great getting all the pictures and information for us. Our resident Pentair Guru Jim (@Jimrahbe ) knows this stuff inside and out. Sadly, I don't but didn't want you to feel I'd abandoned you. Everyone here has been very interested in helping you and Dirk is working overtime to find answers.

You really do have top of the line equipment- I'm quite impressed with that equipment pad of yours. The pool looks very nice indeed!

Maddie

I will test this afternoon. but the pool looks very clear. Thank you.
You just want to make sure your pool has enough FC. Clear doesn't always mean sanitary. I noticed you had a high temp yesterday, which can gobble chlorine. But with your SWG going at it, you'll probably fine. Best to test before you jump in.

So far everything is looking good. Enjoy swimming & read the Pentair manuals when you get a chance.
Do another complete set of tests today & post results, you didn't post the CH results yesterday.
Keep a close watch (once a day) on the PH for the next several days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.